Do You Need To Eat Breakfast? Yes, And Here's Why
Food Drink

Breakfast IS The Most Important Meal Of the Day For Students

And no, Spudnuts isn't really what I'm talking about.

1148
https://www.pexels.com/photo/person-holding-phone-taking-picture-of-served-food-693267/

Between the late nights studying or hanging out with friends, early (or late) classes, extracurriculars, and sporting events, it can be hard as a college student to get all the proper nutrition you need. Students are also more likely to not have a set schedule every day which can make it hard to keep consistent eating habits. If you don't have the time or even the resources to make yourself a hearty breakfast in the morning, at the very least grab a healthy power bar or a piece of fruit to tide you over until your next meal.

Short on time but still want something more filling than a bar or piece of fruit? Prepare breakfast the night before. Overnight oats, hard boiled eggs, and greek yogurt are great healthy options that you can take with you and eat on the way to your class. According to one analysis on the most popular breakfast foods, yogurt parfaits rank as the number one for Americans. My guess is that many people think it's a healthy option, in addition to being easy and delicious, but don't be fooled if you're a regular buyer of packaged parfaits. If possible, swap out a sugary premade one for one you made at home. Top it with a mixture of healthy nuts, seeds, and dried fruit to use instead of the sugar-filled granola options sold at most campus convenience stores or coffee shops, and go for a low-sugar yogurt option.

I'm ALL about that spinach feta breakfast wrap at Starbucks, which has veggies, protein, and fiber (and no, I'm not getting paid to say this -- but I am available if you're reading Starbucks). Admittedly it's not the most cost effective breakfast, but the other grab-and-go suggestions above would be.

Forget what you've heard in the past about skipping breakfast in the morning. It is, in fact, the most important meal you'll eat all day, especially for us students. Here's why.

1. Starts Your Day Off on the Right Foot

When it comes to breakfast, there isn't one universal meal that will satisfy everyone in the same way. No matter what it is that satisfies you, whether that's a protein smoothie, or a piece of toast, getting your nutrients in first thing starts your day off on the right foot. Eating something healthy in the morning means you're more than likely to make good choices the rest of the day. Additionally, people who eat breakfast in the morning are more likely to burn calories throughout the day than those who don't.

2. Improves Memory and Concentration

I think it's a fair assumption to say that it's easy to get distracted as a student. If you're in class you're more than likely using your laptop which can lead you to a whole lot of other things aside from taking notes. If you're at home trying to study, sometimes the desire to watch the show that you're currently binge-watching takes priority. If you need help combating the distraction and improving your memory and concentration, eating breakfast is the first thing you should do. Studies have shown that those who eat a balanced breakfast incorporating omega-3's and berries have higher levels of memory and concentration which in turn leads to higher test scores.

3. Increases Energy

There's nothing more grueling then trying to stay awake during a class. On top of that, if you are someone who has slept in class, you run the risk of someone snapping a photo of you and posting it on social media which can be quite embarrassing. Eating breakfast in the morning raises your blood sugar providing your body with the glucose your body needs after a night of sleep. If you're anything like me with a constantly changing schedule every week, having the energy to get through a full day of school, homework, and my part-time job makes all the difference.

If all of these reasons aren't convincing enough, do it for your health. The earlier you adopt healthy habits, the better. Plus, meals that are good for you are typically those you'll make at home, so being healthier will also help you save some money.