Why I Will NOT Be Creating A March Madness Bracket

A warning to college students everywhere

9

Saturday, December 21st 2019, the Villanova Wildcats knocked off the No. 1 team in the country in the Kansas Jayhawks in a 1 point thriller. As a member of the band, I was lucky enough to witness the game of the year from only a few feet away from the Wells Fargo Center court. Even though I have attended many Sixers games at the WFC, this Villanova game was more exciting than many Philadelphia pro sporting events, including the 76ers first home playoff game, Bryce Harper's first Phillies home-run, and Nick Foles last home Eagles game. The pride of Villanova's sports teams is unlike any other organization in the world.

It is this school spirit that has decided for me that I will not be entering any of my peer's or club's march madness brackets.

As a member or fan of any organization, one would naturally become biased towards their own priorities. I can guarantee anyone that the majority of Villanovans who make a bracket will have a tough time omitting the Wildcats from the Final 4. I know I would, with their recent stellar play. While I have faith in Jay Wright and the whole team, I have to realize from an outsiders prospective that we are ranked a high 10 in the rankings. There are 9 teams considered better in the eyes of the voters.

I just want to give a brief notice to anyone in a school who will be participating in March Madness this year to be careful in spending money betting for your school to win.

We as students view money much more conservatively once we get to university. Not participating in money-related bracket pools will help save your money and time. There is absolutely no harm in making a bracket, but betting on your school to win a single elimination tournament out of 68 schools will not help most students in any way.