Respect Life Month Hurts LGBT+ People

Respect Life Month Hurts LGBT+ People

How Marquette Discriminates Against people in the LGBT+ community.

159

This month Marquette University is celebrating Respect Life. The sad reality is that Marquette is trying to boost it's image when in reality it is already hindered. The one community that if affects the most is the LGBT+ community. The Catholic Church for years has been discriminating against people in this community and now their new attack is on Transgender people. Respect Life Month really is a Republican backing idea because of their views on abortion. It was even displayed on Marquette's campus right in front of Laulmiere Hall. Marquette might respect unborn children, but they do not respect other people's views.

People in the LGBT+ community have been hurt so much by the Catholic Church and the fact that the school is now trying to reach out is just par for the course. Of course they want to look good for PR reasons but actions speak louder than words. It starts at the top and so far people in the LGBT+ community feel that they are not being heard. Where is the help, the representation that we need?

I am sick and tired of people saying, "Oh Jesuits and Catholics are inclusive," when in reality they do not. The Pope did come out and welcomed Gay and Lesbian people to join the church. Now, they are preaching hate against Transgender people. I thought that the church was supposed to be loving and caring towards all people when they are not doing that. It seems to me that this school and the church they are affiliated with are speaking out of both sides of their mouth. It hurts me to see so many people in this community that are affected by this.

Now, I have been ranting about this so now it is time for a solution. The church needs to understand that what they say can hurt people. They need to understand that their rhetoric towards people in the community has been hurtful for too long and they need to preach love and acceptance towards all people. I find it so unacceptable to do that. Now, Marquette Universities' Campus Ministry has been reaching out to the LGBT+ center and to the GSA as well but people are apprehensive about this. They do not know what they are going to do if we program with them.

A lot of people have approached me and asked me to not work with them because they feel uncomfortable with what is going on. They do not feel safe. As the President of the GSA I need to make sure that my member feel safe and included in the conversation and they need to know that their voices need to be heard. So, for right now, I am not willing to come to the table but I hope that in the future their can be a way to find a solution that everyone is happy with.