Release Emotions To Maintain The Heart Chakra

The expression of internalized energies through dance is vital in maintaining an open and balanced heart chakra.
121

As seen in past articles, sacral chakra energies represent relationships and solar-plexus chakra energies represent personal powers. Uncontrolled emotions in dealings with others and ourselves will result in dysfunction and imbalances in these two lower chakras. If we are not strong and grounded in the external and internal areas of our lives, it will be more difficult to connect to the energies of the next chakra, the heart chakra. This is why releasing emotional burdens through dance is vital in opening the higher chakras.

In "The Anatomy of the Spirit: The Seven Stages of Power and Healing," author Caroline Myss explains that the heart chakra is the emotional power center of the body. Located at the center of the chest, the fourth chakra energies connect to the heart and circulatory system, ribs, breasts, thymus gland, lungs, shoulders, arms, hands, and diaphragm. Common emotional issues held at the heart chakra include love and hatred, resentment and bitterness, grief and anger, self-centeredness, loneliness and commitment, forgiveness and compassion, and hope and trust.

The more we begin to move the energies of the lower chakras, the sooner we can heal the physical and emotional imbalances that work their way up to the heart. Dancing is an excellent self-care tool that benefits both the sacral and solar-plexus by allowing the body to release energies through the creation and expression of movement.

In The Chakra Bible, author Patricia Mercier explains that Indian dancers perform "dance dramas" called natya to express sacral chakra energies. Mercier states that "Indian dance is particularly associated with the creative energies of (the sacral chakra). It is a complex traditional form, blending nritta (rhythmic element) with nritya (the combination of rhythm and expression) and natya (the dramatic element)." The use of dance also strengthens the solar-plexus chakra as we are able to use our bodies to express what is being withheld in our individual energy fields.

Without alternative forms of releasing emotions, energies remain stagnant in the lower three chakras. The more these emotions build up, the more they negatively affect the fourth chakra, the heart chakra. This is why the expression of internalized energies through self-care is vital in maintaining an open and balanced heart chakra.