I Refuse To Vote
Politics

I Refuse To Vote

Political thoughts from an unpolitical person.

48
I Refuse To Vote
Gage Skidmore/Marc Nozell

I don’t consider myself to be a very political person.

But.

I’m scared. I’m scared of the path our country seems to be taking. I’m scared that we, as citizens, have been pigeonholed into choosing between two less-than desirable candidates to run our entire county. I’m scared that a reality star/businessman can manage to insult almost every single demographic possible and still hold the support of so many Americans. I’m scared that the first woman to secure the presidency won’t be the right one.

So.

I find myself in a bind. I don’t want to vote for either candidate. Do I bother voting? Do I forego my responsibility to vote, as a citizen of this country, simply in order to exercise my democratic right to a voice an opinion? I thought the essence of a democracy was to allow the public to express its opinions and voice regarding its government. This is where the contradiction comes into place — at least in my mind. I’m voting, but my vote isn’t my opinion. It’s a vote because I had no other options.

I don’t want to be forced to vote for Trump just because of my dislike for Hillary, but I don’t want to be forced to vote for Hillary just because of my dislike for Trump. Do you see where I’m going here?

So.

Here’s what I propose. Let’s revamp our voting system. Let’s give everyone a chance to actually express their opinion on the individuals that hope to run our country. A forced vote for Hillary or Trump isn’t an opinion, and to be honest, should barely even be counted as a “vote,” seeing as a vote tends to acknowledge one’s favor of that certain individual. In this day, many votes have turned into an acknowledgement that one candidate “isn’t as bad,” as the other. I really hope I’m not the only person that sees how inadequate this system is in determining our leader.

What if, rather than voting for someone, we could vote against them? What if, as a responsible citizen, I could vote against Hillary and Trump, because I don’t believe either one of them should be running our country, dealing with foreign affairs, or really anything else of such influence. Maybe my vote against could void someone else’s vote for. After all, isn’t my voice just as important as theirs? If neither candidate can earn a high enough percentage (haven’t thought of one... not my job) then maybe it’s time to head back to the drawing board.

Now, this idea might not work... or even be possible. I mean, what do I know, I’m just a 20-year-old that hasn’t graduated college yet. But I do know this; something needs to change. I want my voice. I want the opportunity to truly express my opinion because otherwise? Don’t expect to see me at the voting booth.