Refugee Olympian Yusra Mardini And Having Heart

Courage isn't about not having fears, but about looking past them.

24
Alexander Hassenstein/Getty Images for IOC

With the Olympics coming to a close, I've been filled and inspired by countless stories of incredible courage and overcoming. There are some stories that are so truly inspiring, it makes you do a double take; "Wait, a human actually did that?" My petty daily problems are shocked with reality when I hear stories like Yusra Mardini, a teenage swimmer for the refugee team in the 100 meter Butterfly and Freestyle events. At the age of 17, in efforts to flee her country that couldn't ever resemble a setting of home and safety, she boarded an overcrowded boat on the Mediterranean with many other refugees. When the boat's engine died and it started to sink, out of necessity and survival, her and the only 3 others on this vessel that knew how to swim got into the open waters, and pulled the boat for 3 1/2 hours, swimming with one arm and towing the boat with the other.

When I hear incredible stories like these, I really feel like I can do anything. I also feel this way when someone I love encourages me or I do something I never thought I could do. I get a sense of courage, and a get a reminder that I am strong, and I'm reminded that facing my fears and embracing adventure feels completely and supernaturally right.

So, why is it so hard to keep heart then? In the moments in between inspiration, encouragements, and successes, why am I so ready to get comfortable? I lay in my bed watching Netflix wasting my day. I get fearful of the future, if I'll ever become anything, if I'm here at college learning what actually is my purpose or if I somehow accidentally chose the wrong path.

"I want everyone to think refugees are normal people who had their homelands and lost them not because they wanted to run away and be refugees, but because they had dreams in their lives and they had to go."

When Yusra was fleeing her homeland and swimming lives to safety, I'm certain she was in grief. She's not exempt from these painful debilitating emotions, but her response to her situation is what is inspiring. She took heart in her dreams, knew her talents and abilities, and acted courageously. She overcame stereotypes of gender, age, and refugee status, saved lives and followed her dreams along the way. That is what it looks like to take heart, and that is how I want to live my life, bold and courageous in the hope I have.

I can take heart and throw away my fears, insecurities, and insufficiencies in this; I was made for a purpose. I was created and put in my place for a reason, and while I can really suck sometimes, and I've messed up more than a couple of times, I can look to something beyond myself and realize I'm going to be alright.