My Personal Recipe For Success In 2018

My Personal Recipe For Success In 2018

Life can get extremely hectic; you don't need an Odyssey article to tell you this.

5205
My Personal Recipe For Success In 2018

We all know that the resolutions we plan to keep in the new year never turn out as successful as we had hoped they would be. Gym memberships abandoned, journals left empty after three pages or writing, self-help books left on the shelf unread; it's a vicious cycle of making and breaking promises to yourself.

I am not without blame here, believe me; I have my fair share of broken resolutions in various forms, mostly art projects left half-finished in the recesses of my closet. I made one overarching resolution this year, and that resolution was to take my future progress step-by-step, and I would like to share the "recipe" I created for this.

There are many steps to bettering yourself as a person in all aspects of your life. Too many times we measure success as our ability to make more money or to get the best grades in our classes, but that's really not the biggest part of the equation. Our character and the way we treat ourselves and others is a much more accurate measurement of our success as people than our grades or net worth, in my opinion.

Without further ado, here is my 2018 Recipe For Success. I hope the new year brings you many blessings and much success. :)

Julie's Recipe for Success:

1. 1/2 tablespoon of forgiveness

OK, this one doesn't work well with the whole measurements metaphor, but just go with me here. Now that you've left the past in the past, it's time to make sure your eyes are looking ahead with clarity. Instead of adding several things to your life that you're forcing (like that cross fit class or that weird kale smoothie mix for your new blender,) try putting your energy into improving things you're already doing. Break away from your usual routine, and start from scratch to make a better plan for yourself.

2. 3 rounded tablespoons of healthy self-love

Self-love is not the most well-defined term in my opinion. While some things can be beneficial, others are downright detrimental to your wellbeing. This year, try and find things that make you feel good about yourself that also better your mind and/or body.

Self-care is pretty broad, so take liberty with it and incorporate some beneficial practices into your life that bring more appreciation to yourself and help you to realize all your worth in this world. We go day-to-day sometimes only talking down to ourselves, and the way we talk or think about ourselves has a very strong correlation to how we feel deep down about ourselves.

Try to only think positive, affirming things about yourself. Be critical, but not mean. It's important to be honest with yourself, but not to hurt your own feelings just because you're looking to find something arbitrarily wrong.

3. 1/2 cup of planning for everything

Life can get extremely hectic; you don't need an Odyssey article to tell you this. Even when things seem overwhelming, there is always a way to divide and conquer big tasks. Utilizing your resources can help tremendously, and it doesn't have to be expensive.

Google Calendar is my personal favorite way to organize my time. I love how flexible I can be with my plans, and how I can access it at home and at work if I need it. That being said, nothing will ever replace my planner for jotting down small and not-so-small tasks.

I use my planner to keep track of assignments and errands, and I put little stickers in it and hand-letter headings inside of it, which helps me keep using it on a consistent basis. In the world we live in, there's no need to put pressure on yourself to remember every single task you need to complete, so take a load off and use what you have to help yourself.

4. 1/4 teaspoon of evaluation

Arguably the most important part of this whole article is this part. All of these tips I've given you here will be worthless without modification. The biggest part of making a resolution or life change is figuring out how it can fit into your own life.

Re-evaluating is the most helpful thing you can do for yourself, and it will help you have a better understanding of yourself. Pushing yourself to fulfill some monumental task you've assigned yourself will only end in disappointment unless you strategize and stay in touch with your progress along the way. You are the best judge of yourself, and only you know how much you can take on.

I leave you with this, dear reader: whatever you do this year, I hope it brings you a lasting joy. I really hope this is your best year yet, and I hope maybe I can help in a small way to make it that.