Throughout the course of my life, I have met and befriended a few individuals who committed suicide.
Although I wish with all my heart that I could go back in time and help them to the fullest of my ability, I know that I cannot. However, this does not mean that I cannot play a tiny role in helping those who have suicidal thoughts and/or want nothing more but to stay alive.
September might be National Suicide Prevention Awareness Month, but that does not mean that we cannot address this issue during other times of the year.
Therefore, for those who may have these thoughts, know that you are not alone and that you will always have people there to support you.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255
The other day, I was exploring different social media platforms when I came across a post that listed a variety of small reasons to stay alive. Although some of these reasons may be "small," they're not stupid. There's no such thing as a stupid reason to want to stay alive. Sometimes, even the smallest of reasons and sources of motivation can help.
1. Your favorite artist is coming out with a new album/song in the near future.
2. The newest movie you're excited about is just about to be released in theaters.
3. The movie you missed in theaters is just about to be released on DVD (or is coming to Netflix).
4. The newest season of your favorite TV show is about to be added to Netflix.
5. A new and interesting TV show has just been released and you're excited to watch it.
6. You have a pet, and you're the main person who feeds him/her.
7. You're the only one who plays with your pet.
8. You haven't tried out that new restaurant you've been excited about.
9. You haven't tried that crazy food you saw on social media yet.
10. You haven't gotten around to cooking up that new recipe you found.
11. Your favorite author is about to release his/her new book.
12. A new video-game you've been excited about is just about to be released.
13. There's a book in your bookshelf that you still haven't gotten around to reading yet.
14. There's a video game that you still haven't gotten around to playing yet.
15. You're excited to take another warm shower and/or relaxing bath.
16. Cold weather is approaching and you want to drink hot chocolate/hot tea.
17. It's the holidays and the Christmas tree needs to be decorated.
18. You haven't visited that one state/country you've been eager to explore.
19. You want to pick up a new instrument.
20. A meteor shower is approaching.
21. The feeling of waking up hours before your alarm goes off.
22. Sales at your favorite clothing store.
23. You have yet to perfect that perfect cup of coffee.
24. There's a new hobby that you want to pick up (like arm-knitting...I want to pick up arm-knitting).
25. Falling asleep to the sound of rain.
26. You still want to get that tattoo you've been dreaming of.
27. A new Disney movie is coming out.
28. The feeling you get when a cat allows you to pick it up.
29. The amazing deals you find when you go thrift-shopping.
30. Waking up to an email about a canceled class.
31. Hole-in-the-wall shops/restaurants that you still haven't discovered.
32. The feeling of building a perfect sand-castle and feeling the sand between your toes.
33. December is approaching, which means Christmas music on the radio.
34. The feeling of eating your favorite food and never getting sick of it.
35. You're needed, important, and loved.
No matter who you are or where you are, please don't forget that you are needed. Find the smallest of things that make you happy and find new things that will make you happy.
You're worth it and there's a world out there that needs to be explored.