19 Reasons Why Book-Lovers Make Better Friends Than Even Your Favorite Characters Probably Would

Just don't take their books without asking.

377
Mikayla Lawrence

We all have that friend. You know the one. They constantly have a book on hand, spend every spare moment holed up in their room with their latest read, and can’t stop recommending series to you if they tried.

Sure, to a non-book-lover, they can be a little annoying, but it’s about time we all stopped and appreciated them for what they really are: The best friend you’ve probably ever had.

1. They have all the recs.

In a certain mood? Your book-loving friend has been there and has the books to prove it. Looking for a specific book? Please, step into their personal library. Have no idea what you want to read but need suggestions? They already have a personalized list ready and have been waiting for this moment for months.

2. They’re good storytellers.

If you’re not sure whether to read a book or see a certain movie, your bookworm friend is there to give an accurate synopsis to help you decide. Alternately, if you don’t want to read a book or see a movie but are nevertheless curious about it, their description of it is probably just as good anyway.

3. They’re comfortable in silence but always have something to talk about.

What others might consider awkward silence often isn’t awkward for your book-loving friend — most bookworms actually prefer the silence. At the same time, if you want to chat, they have a few topics up their sleeves. (Books. I’m talking about books.)

4. They give out good advice.

OK, yes, it may not be real-world experience, but every book has a little bit of truth to it, right? Book-lovers are empathetic at the very least.

5. They’re attentive...

Bookworms spend a lot of time quite literally reading (fictional) people’s thoughts. It’s like they’re trained to know when your mood changes.

6. ... and good listeners.

If you need to talk something out, always go to your bookworm friend. They’re professionally trained in focusing on one thing for an extended period of time. Not to mention, they get invested. Really invested.

7. They know when to put their phone down.

A book-lover’s favorite form of entertainment doesn’t involve technology, which means they’re not as attached to it as other people. That doesn’t mean they’re entirely devoid of phones or the internet, but they don’t need them to have fun, especially if they’re spending time with you.

8. They’re creative.

Readers are known for their active imaginations, which means you automatically have a go-to DIY friend (or someone to give you their input, at least).

9. They give great presents.

They've studied you like a book throughout your whole friendship. If they don’t have your perfect gift at Christmas (which is highly unlikely), you can at least count on getting a good book.

10. They can help you with that paper you’ve been dreading.

OK, let’s be honest, every reader either has exceptional grammar skills or knows how to form a decent essay. Either way, they come in handy.

11. They’re always down for a night in.

Sometimes you just want to cozy up with a movie and popcorn, and you can always count on your book-loving friend to join you.

12. But they’re also good for going on a spontaneous adventure.

Your bookworm friend spends most of their free time reading about other people’s adventures. After they finish a good book, don’t be surprised if they call you up for a late-night escapade.

13. They can probably cook, or knit, or do something cool.

Every bookworm has their genre of choice, but they’ve definitely strayed into how-to and self-help territory once or twice and picked up something cool (and useful). You’ll definitely benefit from this, whether it be a home-cooked meal or a warm scarf.

14. They’re masters at deciphering and replying to cryptic texts.

It’s a bookworm’s job and preferred hobby to read between the lines. This especially comes in handy when ~that person~ pops back into your life. Don’t pretend like you don’t know what I’m talking about.

15. They always have bomb Instagram captions.

Your book-loving friend has enough quotes stored in their brain to caption every selfie you’ve ever taken.

16. They’re a good judge of character (ha, get it?).

A book-lover can spot a villain from a mile away.

17. They’re always relaxed.

Reading is a major stress-relief, meaning your bookworm friend is always chill and calming. This is never a bad thing (especially if you tend to run on the high-maintenance side).

18. They have a good memory.

Do you know how many words a book-lover retains in a short period of time? Because of this, you can always count on them to remember everything from your birthday to your coffee order. What more could you ask for from someone in your life?

19. They keep you focused.

Need someone to hang out with while you clean your room? Want someone around while you study to hold you accountable? This is where bookworms come in. They can sit and read for hours without moving anything but their hand to turn the page. Keeping you focused on your own work is a piece of cake.

Look, book-lovers aren't perfect... But they're pretty damn close. (Just don't take one of their books without asking or I'll be writing an entirely different article next time.)