3 Real World Lessons You Learn Through Sports

There are valuable lessons that can be learned by being a part of a high school sports teams.

817

It’s the time of year when high school sports are in full swing. My Facebook is filled with pictures of proud parents showing off the skills of their children. It is great to see the pride that the community has in the accomplishments of the players, and so I wonder: do high school sports prepare you for the real world? Yes!

I played basketball growing up. I loved it. I learned teamwork, prioritizing, and respect throughout my time as a player. These skills are things that can also carry over into the real world and need to be accepted by these proud parents.

1. Teamwork

Any type of team-- whether its football, basketball, soccer, etc., requires everyone to do their part for the team to be successful. In most businesses, you will interact with people in different departments or even work with others to solve an issue within your organization. Every person is a part of the bigger picture, and it is fortunate that you get to learn first-hand what it means to be a part of a team.

2. Prioritizing

I remember during my high school days, I would always want to try and find “something better to do” instead of going to open gym or practice. Having a coach that encouraged participation helped me learn a great deal about prioritizing my life. There are days when I don’t want to get up for work or I don’t want to go visit someone, but I have learned through sports that you must prioritize what is important to you.

If you don’t show up for the practice, you are letting your team down, just like not showing up for work or to visit that friend you’ve been meaning to see. If you choose to be a part of a sports team, then you are making the commitment to keep it as a priority just like you would any other important aspect of your life.

3. Respect

In sports, you should respect your coaches, the other players, other teams, the fans, and the referees. The coaches and referees are there to ensure everyone has fun, doesn’t get hurt, and learns some valuable lessons along the way. Showing up to practices, being at all the games and cheering, whether you are playing or not, and shaking your opponents’ hands at the end of the game are all a sign of respect for everyone.

In the real world, you should show the same respect for traffic laws and authority, your boss, your co-workers, your family, and friends. Everyone has a skill or ability that they want to share with the world, and letting that person do it and not mock them or berate them for it shows that you understand what respect is.

Parents, there are valuable lessons that your child can learn by being a part of their high school sports teams. Let them learn them so that you can be proud of them on and off the court.