10 Real Questions From College Guys About Love And Dating

A once in a life time opportunity, to find out the questions college guys have about love and dating.
2292

“Your biggest problem is that you love being in love.” This is what my mom recently said to me while we were talking about my recent break-up.

After a failed attempt of trying to defend myself through five minutes of stuttering, I walked out of her office frustrated and silent. Then like clockwork, while texting one of my sorority sisters, she pointed out that I don’t need to have a love life, but rather flings.

So here I am laying in my bed, listening to "Only You" by Yaz (yes, the song is older than I am) thinking about love and dating. Is it really such a problem to be in love with love? Do I really need to just have flings? Then, I started wondering how guys felt.

I am like a deer in the headlights when it comes to figuring out how guys think and operate. After all, I have only really ever seriously dated two guys. Intrigued, and starting out as a joke, I sent out a Google Doc to all the fraternities my sorority has on GroupMe, asking guys to anonymously submit questions about love and dating in college. And guess what? They actually sent in questions!

Here it is ladies, the questions that the handsome college men of Purdue have about love and dating in college and my thoughts on them.

1. "If I like two girls and they both like me back, what do I do?"

I wish I could tell you who would be best for you, but ultimately, only you can decide that. If anything, I would tell you to be honest with them because if they find out about each other, they could possibly feel betrayed!

2. "How do you deal with having hardly any dating experience, especially in an environment where most people want to hook up?"

Just do you! It is 100 percent OK to not be looking for a hookup! I know I’m not. If anything, just live your life with your standards and goals in mind. It is easier said than done, but eventually, you will find the right person that is not going just want to hook up. They are out there, so don’t give up hope!

3. "Where are the non-crazy chicks at?"

Well, I don’t know where you keep meeting these crazy chicks but I am pretty sure Purdue University does not only accept “crazy chicks”. If you keep meeting these girls in certain environments (parties, Tinder, etc.), you should probably expand and meet girls in a new type of environment.

4. "How well does a girl need to know you before you ask her out?"

I mean, I would not just randomly go on a date with a random guy that came up to me on the street, but you could always go up to her and have a genuine conversation to get her number! No method of communication is better than in person! So go get ‘em!

5. "What if one person in a relationship has no sexual experience?"

Like I said above, THAT IS TOTALLY FINE! Particularly in college relationships, people make it seem that if you aren’t having sex, it’s not working out. Well, they are lying. I am willing to bet that a lot more relationships than what one thinks, are not having sex.

6. "Can you fall in love more than once?"

YES! YES! YES! Of course you can. Do you remember that feeling you had when you had your first kiss or first actual relationship? That was love! I also believe that there are many different types of love because the love you felt for your first girlfriend is way different than the love you will feel for your future spouse! It doesn’t invalidate that love, it’s just a different type of love.

7. "Do girls prefer to be asked out by the guy first?"

Yes. While girls often like to take control of situations, it is always nice to be approached by a guy first. It shows that you are genuinely interested in them and in the relationship, especially if you do it in person. (Do it in person!)

8. "Have friends with benefits ever worked in the history of mankind."

One word, two letters, very simple word- no.

9. "A lot of sorority girls have a lot of guy friends so how do I know if she’s being playful with me like with her other guy friends or if she’s actually flirting?"

I think if she had further feelings for you, she would treat you different or would tell you herself. Unfortunately, it sounds like you have fallen into the never ending void of the friend zone.

10. "Can you ever love someone new without closure of a past relationship?"

Yes, I definitely think you can. It really sucks and I would know because this has happened to me but you will live and love again another day. It may take time, but I definitely think it’s possible. There is no such thing as the perfect thing at the wrong time because the perfect thing would be perfect at any time.

While I received and overwhelming about of questions these were just my favorites! Actually, I had a lot of very similar questions. To answer the many questions referring to sex that I didn’t post, all in one statement, I am not a personal sex therapist nor do I want to be. Guys, either step up your game or stop making relationships and love all about sex because it is not all about that.

A shocking question that I received specifically for me was “Do you plan to be in a serious relationship by the end of college?”. At first, I kind of laughed, but when I truly think about it I don’t quite have an answer. I think ideally, in some perfect world, yes, I would love to be in a serious, committed relationship by the end of my time at Purdue (LOL chances of that happening though are looking slim).

I mean isn’t that one of the biggest stereotypes of college anyway? That we meet the person we will marry in college? But realistically, I would be okay if I wasn’t. Sometimes life happens, and if the love of my life isn’t at Purdue then he is somewhere out there!

There you have it, ladies, maybe guys don’t think all that much different from us. While it may seem impossible or that you aren’t finding the right person in college, I really just think it takes time. For both guys and girls, while waiting for that special someone, focus on yourself and your friends because that is who will always be there despite whether you are in a relationship or not.