Random Roommate

Random Roommate

The absolute best things about having a random roommate.

3
Random Roommate
Jill Cartelli

Being the introverted-extroverted human being I am, going to college where I wanted to nearly separate myself from the peers of my past schools in order to find myself, I chose to have a random roommate. Absolutely shocking, I know, but I truly believe that I have done the right thing. I had a lot of hesitation living in a traditional suite-styled dorm as is, but in addition to living with a stranger... I totally had no idea if this would work out. Were we going to be mortal enemies, best friends, or long lost soul sisters?? I could not wait to find out who my roommate was in order to be able to get to know her (actually stalk her a little bit in a non-creepy way, as non-creepy as that can be).

Once I finally found out what her name was and found a way I could contact her, I instantly made sure to introduce myself, let her know where I was from, what I had interests in, and anything I could say that I thought would hopefully impress her and show her I was worthy as a future roommate. I anxiously awaited hearing from her, and when I finally got her response, I realized how much we actually had in common, and I was elated. She and I met up as soon as we could, and we literally hit it off. I was absolutely thrilled to experience our Freshman orientation together, and to not totally be alone. We went into being Freshman together, and we had each other to balance the other out... And I will forever be grateful for her and her support.

I am definitely not saying that I know everyone who has a random roommate will have a best friend, soul sister, loud singer, flashy dancer roommate like I do, and I know that I got really lucky, but I am definitely saying that taking the risk of having a random roommate pays off. Having someone from high school (I am sure) is comfortable, and I am sure there are incredible benefits from having that bond prior to going to school, but I have to say that I have hit the jackpot in the roommate category. I have a best friend who I am constantly learning from and about, and I could not be happier.

So, whoever your roommate is, whether you like them or not, go give them a hug. They put up with your crappy attitude after your eight am's, they listen to you cry about missing home, laugh with you while you watch stupid movies or do something dumb, and go with you on food runs. And, if you do not have this bond, I hope this inspires you to give your roommate another chance. They are human like all of us are, and they need a little bit of nurturing, too. Thank you to my fabulous roommate; to the endless laughter. I love ya!