A Letter To The My Once Random Roommate

A Letter To The My Once Random Roommate

Because a random roommate was the best decision I've made.

24
A Letter To The My Once Random Roommate
Chelsey Withers

One of the most terrifying things when entering college is the word roommate. Now some people choose their roommates or if you are like me you get a random one. Now, every story is different and of course you always here the horror stories of how bad a random roommate can be, but I am extremely proud and grateful to not be in that group of people. I know that those stories are true I’ve seen it, but I also can’t speak from that point of view.

Three years ago I moved in with a complete stranger in your typical god awful freshman dorms. I knew this would be the person I would be spending my time with and memories of freshman year, however I didn’t expect that three years later this would I would still be living with her. I like to think of us as the ideal roommates. For example, instead of twin telepathy we have roommate telepathy. We fight just like sisters, meaning we may get mad at each other for a hot second but then one of us just says what’s on our mind, apologizes and then laughing about something the next minute later.

Fights will happen you can’t be stuck in a tiny room with someone for months and not get annoyed with something, but I truly believe that is the easiest thing to overcome. You can easily make a joke about those things and then all the sudden it doesn’t bother you. Or which is the easy solution just say something to them.

I am thankful to have had that person. The one who tells me how it is The one who jumps on my bed when I won't get up until I laugh so hard I have to get up so I don't pee my pants. The one who encourages me to do dumb things so it will be a good laugh later and never fails to capture a picture or video of it so that way it will truly never be forgotten. The one who is my shoulder to cry on when I need it and will help me in anyway possible. The one who grab my phone when I need it so I don't text or call someone I shouldn't. The one who is always by my side and is the ultimate partner in crime. The one I would be lost and couldn't have survived the last three years without. College has brought me many blessings and my roommate is one the best blessings. I can’t explain my gratitude because there is just so much of it.

I wouldn’t want anyone else to be by my side throughout college and experience everything with and to know my college story better than I do. Within our first week on campus we were known as each others sidekicks and I am glad to see nothing has changed.

With all of that said I encourage anyone to have a roommate because yes you may not get along or hate each other, but then you can always switch roommates. However, you may get lucky like me and create the most incredible friendship and memories that are lifelong,

So to my impeccable roommate., thank you for being my person, my romie, here is to senior year and one last time at it because I can’t wait to still be laughing at all of our stories 50 years from now.