8 Struggles Of A Field Hockey Player

8 Struggles Of A Field Hockey Player

From pros to amateurs, we all know the struggle.

282
8 Struggles Of A Field Hockey Player
USA Women's Field Hockey

From pros to amateurs, if you play field hockey you all know the struggle...sometimes too well. From bad calls to the undesirable tan lines we've all been there which is probably why when you find out someone also plays field hockey it's an instant friendship. We might not play the most popular or well known sport but we all love to hate these struggles.

1. Confusing Calls

We can agree all sports struggle with bad calls, but isn't it the worst when a call is so obvious and isn't recognized? How about the MANY times the ball hits their foot and the ref still doesn't call a corner? Why are the calls for a "dangerous play" inconsistent?

2. The Famous Whiff

No matter how good you are at field hockey, we have all experienced whiffing the ball. It always seems to happen when all eyes are on you for that 16 yard hit coming out. Just when you think your big drive will make it down the field... You miss! It's okay we've all been there!

3. Tan Lines

You know it's field hockey season when the bottom half of your legs are white and your thighs are tan. Walking around in a cute dress or outfit with, what looks like permanent shin guards. Don't forget the racer back tank tan line, it also looks great in pictures!

4. Beady Sneakers

Most field hockey players prefer turf fields over grass. With turf fields comes consequences; Coming off the field with bead-filled sneakers is basically expected by now.

5. Field Hockey What!?

Not many people hear about this sport until your team does really well, then they actually acknowledge you! We are often known as the sport with "way too many whistle calls".

6. Softball? Hardball?

When the season begins, it is still warm out, making the ball softer and easier to drive. Just when your line-drives are looking perfect, the weather turns to a cooler fall, and the ball is rock-solid. I don't know about you, but the cold weather definitely makes it harder for me to hit strong drives.

7. Sun-Block... Literally

It's a nice sunny day and your coach has you doing an Ariel drill. You go to receive the ball just to realize you're looking straight into the sun. Some may get away with a bad reception, others may come back with a black eye.

8. Where's the Ball-Girl?

When you play on a turf field and the ball rolls to no where in sight. This has only happened to me a few times but, when you play on a turf field, a ball girl is a must!