Principle #1: The Happiness Advantage

Principle #1: The Happiness Advantage

Happiness is in fact the prerequisite to success.

352

This series based on Shawn Achor's The Happiness Advantage will summarize the seven principles that fuel success and performance at work. Each of the seven makes up a chapter in the book, and the first principle is: The Happiness Advantage.

Think about Nicolaus Copernicus and the heliocentric model that he developed. After years and years of believing the Sun revolved around the Earth, he proved that the Sun was at the center with the Earth revolving around it. This revolutionary discovery changed many thoughts that people had in relation the universe and can also be applied to the false assumptions about success and happiness.

Most people believe that success is the prerequisite to happiness. Once one is successful in terms of money or position in a job, they will be truly happy. While having more money is a contributing factor to happiness, it is temporary and in the end, does not lead to constant happiness in daily life. Happiness, rather, should be a constant in our lives to then fuel success in the workplace.

Often times, successful people find it difficult to achieve the happiness they initially hoped for. As they make more money, the obsession with it overpowers the goal of happiness, and they are never actually satisfied with the amount that they have. The goal for happiness becomes distant and almost invisible as money becomes the only object in their path.

It's important to remember that there is no concrete definition of happiness. We all experience this feeling in different ways and as a result of different things. However, rather than assuming that happiness equates to joy and peace at all times, think of it as "human flourishing." Shawn Achor defines happiness in his own terms as "the joy we feel striving after our potential" (40). Happiness is a string of positive emotions, but it is typically achieved through a series of complicated obstacles. We can most likely be successful if we begin with and maintain an optimistic and motivated mindset.