The Princess Days Are Over

The Princess Days Are Over

It's time these girls got a talking to

12
The Princess Days Are Over
Hannah Lobley

From the time a girl watches her first ever Disney Princess movie, her expectations for guys become almost unrealistic and very fairytale-like. For example, my first ever crush was Prince Eric from the Little Mermaid. I mean come on, what 4-year-old girl from the 90's didn't drool over his (animated) amazing black flowing hair and charm? I truly believed that I would not settle for any boy that was not exactly like him.

Throughout my life I have had my fair share of heart break and broken promises, and somewhere along the lines stopped trying as hard as I could to find that unrealistic "Prince Eric" of a guy. I realized that it was stupid and selfish of me to think that I could find a "perfect" person when even I, myself am nowhere near perfect! Unfortunately, some girls in this day and age are still stuck on the idea that every guy must treat them like an actual princess. However, if the tables were ever to turn and this was expected of a girl, 95% of you gals out there not want a single thing to do with a relationship. So, I am here to open your eyes to the world of the simple things and small expectations that could make your heart breaks a little less frequent.

Don't always expect huge expensive gifts, but notice every small gift he gives you.

If you're broke, chances are your boy is broke too. Cut him some slack because he probably doesn't wanna spend $54 on a new Naked palette for you and I promise you he won't be able to tell the difference between Half Baked and YDK. Appreciate the small gifts he gives you like a bag of your favorite candy or the fact that he bought you fries at Five Guys and didn't accidentally eat them on the way home. (In my opinion I would choose fries over anything, any day of the week).

Not texting each other every second of every day is quite OKAY.

I promise you if he hasn't answered for a little while he's probably sleeping, playing video games, or honestly just not paying attention to his phone. It's okay to take a breather from each other and catch up in small segments throughout the day or when you both have free time. You'll be more productive and be less anxious throughout your day.

He has friends and so do you.

The worst thing you can do in a relationship is shut your friends out just because you have a significant other. If that relationship doesn't end up working out, who will you turn to? It will make you look like a terrible person. Let him have his nights with guys, (without you there) and you go have some quality GNOs.

Don't assume that every meal you two eat together will be coming out of his wallet.

I believe this to be one of the worst passed down expectations of guys, like I said before, if you're broke, chances are he is too! Offer to pay for a dinner or two or split the check. Or, stay in and cook something together (which can be super fun!) and save up for one really nice dinner together. It's crazy to think that it automatically means it's "not a date" if someone doesn't pay for your chicken parm.

Be careful of hypocrisy.

A lot of times I hear of girls who don't allow their boyfriend to talk to any other girls, have friends that are girls etc. but get mad when their boyfriend tells them he feels uncomfortable about a certain dude being her friend! Please tell me how that makes sense! I guarantee you he feels just as jealous seeing you with another guy as you do seeing him talking to another girl. Respect each others boundaries and if you can't trust your significant other, it's time to say "bye-bye!" Trust is key!!!!!!

No PDA? That's okay!

Him kissing you in public or holding your hand every time you walk next to each other, does not define a relationship. It doesn't mean he's hiding anything, he's being mature when in a public situation! To be honest, I don't really appreciate the people snuggling and playing tonsil hockey in the middle of the mall or while walking to class. Save it for your time alone together, it's more personal that way.

Make sure to enjoy the special little moments with each other.

When you jam out to your favorite songs and bust a few (awkward) dance moves, when you both laugh until your stomachs hurt at something as stupid as a Vine. When he shows you something or tells you something that made him think of you or going on a spontaneous walk or adventure. Life's little moments add up always.