Does Happiness Have A Price Tag?

Does Happiness Have A Price Tag?

The life-pondering question, answered in my own perspective.

128
Does Happiness Have A Price Tag?
Quotesberry

It is commonly speculated that money buys happiness. Clearly, wealthier countries seem like they would be happier than the poorer ones, so does it carry over to income? Lottery winners, for example, wish that they never purchased the winning ticket. Switzerland is the happiest country in the world, and the United States follows at 69th. Why is this? It starts with the consideration that the United States is among the wealthiest countries in the world. So why isn’t it the happiest? Those with a lower social status prove to be happier and more satisfied with their life than those who are better off financially. Lower income families are more satisfied with their lives than those who have more money- proving them more successful.

Some researchers have actually found that money can buy happiness for various reasons, including how you choose to spend it. In an article by TIME Magazine, it is stated that “Wealthier people are happier than poor people. Wealthier countries are happier than poor countries. As countries get ­richer, they get happier. The relationship between income and happiness is extremely strong”. According to Dan Gilbert, a Harvard University psychology professor, the key is to spend your money on experiences rather than material things. Material things tend to lose their luster after a while. Memories of people, places and activities, however, never get old.

The United States is one of the wealthiest countries in the world, and if the correlation between money and happiness is strong, then it would be thought that they would also be one of the happiest countries in the world. However, that is not the case. The happiest country is Switzerland. Though Switzerland is also a wealthy country, it is, in a sense, close to the United States, a direct correlation cannot be proven. Clearly, the United States and Switzerland are very different countries in terms of happiness. That is why, with similarity in their wealthiness, the money-happiness correlation is hard to prove.

Other studies have suggested that Americans are increasingly unhappy. In fact, they’re less happy compared with a decade ago. A recent Fox News poll and MarketWatch article found that, "53% of Americans were “very happy” or “happy.” It’s still down from 56% in 2009 and 68% in 2001, previous studies concluded. Americans are growing increasingly unhappy as time progresses. This is due to many different reasons, including the rate of advertising for antidepressant drugs like Zoloft, Lexapro, and Paxil, which have skyrocketed by 400%". This allows people to take drugs to experience happiness, instead of finding it genuinely. This issue is too large to be blamed towards individuals, and instead can be observed as a societal issue. The lack of retirement funds can also contribute to unhappiness. Social Security was something that was created in the post Great Depression era, and was not intended to last as long as it did. In the next forty years or less, it is predicted that the funds will be gone. This causes stress and worrying for those who keep getting money taken out of their paycheck - money they won’t get back. Clearly, the amount of money a country has does not directly relate to how happy its citizens are.

Researchers have studied ways that money can buy happiness, and ways it cannot. Materialism is becoming a very big issue and contributor towards unhappiness. In a study by Harvard University and CNN article, “It turns out people generally get more happiness spending their money on experiences. Even though experiences are temporary -- dinner with a friend or a vacation -- while stuff like TVs, computers and smartphones last longer". Even though experiences are temporary, they can contribute to a much happier life. Materialistic things, such as the new iPhone, lose value by the minute. Memories, on the other hand, do not. The anticipation building up to a vacation leads to a very excited state of mind, and vacations also do a great job and reducing stress. The same experience holds true with experiences like spending time with friends or going to your favorite artist’s concert.

Those with a lower social status prove to be happier and more satisfied with their life than those who are better off financially. This is due to a less wealthy country being happier than the United States, how money is spent, and the country’s emphasis on culture and family values. Lower income families are more satisfied with their lives than those who have more money, proving them more successful. The correlation between money and happiness is not as strong as many may think. The United States is a country with the highest mental illnesses including depression and anxiety. Immense medication advertising may contribute to this. Also, it is proven that spending your money on experiences is more valuable than spending on something materialistic. Materialism is becoming a greater problem in America as technology keeps advancing, and it is not helping the country’s happiness. Lastly, family values may tie together with happiness.