Living In A World Consumed By Money

Living In A World Consumed By Money

Follow your dreams.

120
Living In A World Consumed By Money

Money is not everything. Society has us thinking that money is life, though. Every day, it’s money this, money that. Every aching moment is controlled by the idea of money. Money controls whether or not we set out on that dream vacation or, dare I say it, whether or not we eat dinner that night. From the moment we wake up to the moment we go to sleep, money controls our thoughts.

Money shouldn’t control our views, our outlooks, or our happiness. Fear of money is man-made. It is not a fear we are born with and it’s not a fear we should ever “buy” into. Why should money control whether or not we are happy?

Our society feeds on the hunger for money. Every waking moment has to do with whether or not you have money in the bank. I can promise you this, as you sit here in fear of not being able to provide, in fear of not making it to the next paycheck, life is passing you by. Money is not life. Money is not everything and it never will be.

For those future college students:

I consider myself a “broke” college student. But no, I am not broke. Am I going to have student loans? You bet. Am I scared about not having a job right when I graduate? Sure, isn’t everybody? Have I said no to going out with friends? Sadly, yes. But I am not broke. I am not broke because I am rich in other ways. I woke up today. I was able to talk to family. I am healthy. I have the most amazing friends, and I am able to find joy in moments instead of things. I don’t need that brand new shirt, but I do need those endless moments of laughter that cost me nothing.

So, when deciding what to major in when you attend college, money shouldn’t be the motivation. The countless comments made about certain majors not being a promising career path are all too common. Who said that you had to be making six figures every year to be happy? Who told you not to follow your dreams because you can’t live on a certain salary? I’ll tell you one thing: When you follow your dreams, you will be filled with riches, whether you make the money everyone longs for or not. Money isn’t everything. The places you go and the people you see and the lives you touch are the wealthiest desires out there. So no, you don’t have to be the next brain surgeon. You don’t have to be the CEO of a huge corporation if that’s not your calling. Love your career. A little advice: You shouldn’t hate going to work. You should love what you do. You only hate it if you are doing the wrong thing.

For those well into their careers:

It’s not too late. Follow your dreams. Don’t let being comfortable stop you from trying something different. You may be comfortable and content because you have a stable job that provides income, but if you aren’t happy, you made a wrong turn. Life is all about second chances. Take yours and run with it. Take a chance and apply to that open position. Stop telling yourself you aren’t qualified or you are too far into another career.

Money doesn’t equal wealth. Wealth should be based on the riches you posses through moments, not money. If you woke up today, you are already richer than a handful of others. If you talked to a loved one today, you are wealthier than thousands of people. You are rich in a countless number of ways. I haven’t even touched on the fact that if you have at least $5 in your pocket that you are richer than millions. There are so many people who couldn't even get out of bed today. You are the rich one. Whether you have thousands of dollars or only one cent to your name. You are wealthy for the abundance of inexplicable moments that each day possesses when you make the most of it.

Money is not the motivation. Money doesn’t buy happiness. Being humble, showing happiness, and having the perseverance to follow your dreams is the wealthiest outlook on life anyone could ever hold.