Preview: Chiefs Ready To Contend In 2016

The Chiefs kickoff the season this weekend at home against San Diego.

12
sportingnews.com

The 2016 National Football League opens regular season play this week, and the championship campaign for the Kansas City Chiefs is already underway.

As the season opener comes this Sunday at home against San Diego, let's cut right to the chase and digest what's to come for the Chiefs in 2016. I'll take you through the major phases of the team (offense and defense), and we'll visit each game on the Chiefs schedule this season (predictions included).

Offense

More than ever before in recent years, there will be heavy expectations on the offensive unit to produce. This season, quarterback Alex Smith will be the one to lead the team to new heights. No longer are people expecting to ride running back Jamaal Charles and have Smith fill in the gaps. For the Chiefs to contend for a championship run, Smith must elevate his play to the next level.

Smith has primarily been a game manager of sorts during his tenure as quarterback in the National Football League. But the Chiefs are hoping for that to change this season.

There's no doubt, though, that Charles will be the one that makes the offense go from the backfield. In years past, Charles was expected to lead the offense.

Albeit the preseason, Smith's numbers were impressive. He completed 32 of 46 passes, and put up a passer rating of 99.4.

Charles is coming off of a torn ACL in 2015, so he may be tender at the start. Charles may even struggle to get on the field in Week 1. Spencer Ware figures to be the back right behind Charles to fill any needed gaps early on. But once Charles gets comfortable, look out.

At the wide receiver position, Jeremy Maclin and Albert Wilson will the early favorable options for Smith, along with the always dangerous Travis Kelce at tight end.. Signed as an undrafted free agent in May 2014, Wilson caught 35 passes for 451 yards last season. He figures to be the recipient of more targets in 2016, especially when Maclin is the center of attention for defenses.

Currently at the bottom of the depth chart among wide receivers, Tyreek Hill is a player to watch out for. Hill brings tremendous speed as a rookie out of West Alabama. Players and coaches alike have raved about Hill's ability to separate from defenders in training camp and the preseason.

While it's not likely that Hill will put up any astounding numbers in 2016, he's an option that could prove to be valuable for Smith as the season progresses.

Defense

The defense of the Kansas City Chiefs could be this season's weak link, which is quite different from year's year's past. In previous seasons, the defensive side of the ball proved to be invaluable in delivering wins when the offense failed to do its part.

Last week, outside linebacker Justin Houston was placed on the physically unable to perform (PUP) list, which will keep him out of game action for at least six weeks into the regular season. The earliest Houston would be eligible to return, per league rules, would be Oct. 23 at home against the Saints in Week 7.

The injury news on the defensive side of the ball doesn't stop at Houston, though. Inside linebacker Josh Mauga was placed on injured reserve last Tuesday, and his season is over. Houston's backup, Dee Ford, has potential but needs to prove his worth.

Another outside linebacker, Tamba Hali, has been battling an offseason injury. Hali will be ready for Week 1, though, and will be the leader in the linebacker core until Houston returns.

Defensive ends Jaye Howard and Allen Bailey, along with nose tackle Dontari Poe, will be the ones to stuff the run and get after the quarterback. Big things are once again expected from this group on the defensive line.

In the secondary, cornerbacks Marcus Peters and Steve Nelson will have to defend the pass well. Backup Phillip Gaines has potential that many are excited about. Strong safety Eric Berry, who just recently signed his franchise tender, will likely be the emotional leader of the defense. Free safety Ron Parker will complement Berry just fine.

Now on to the fun part.

Schedule Preview and Predictions

Week 1: Sept. 11, vs. San Diego Chargers

The Chiefs welcome San Diego to Arrowhead for the beginning of the 2016 season. Emotions will no doubt be flying high in Week 1. "Chiefs Kingdom" will be as excited as they've ever been for the season to begin, knowing their team has a real shot this year.

I expect Smith and whoever is in the backfield to have sold games in Week 1, and the defense will make just enough plays to keep Phillip Rivers in check. Prediction: Chiefs 24, Chargers 20

Week 2: Sept. 18, at Houston Texans

In a rematch of last season's playoff Wild Card victory for the Chiefs, the Texans will definitely be seeking some revenge here in Week 2. 2015 was a breakout season for quarterback Brock Osweiler. Osweiler played in eight games for injured Peyton Manning while with the Denver Broncos.

As a member of the Miami Dolphins, now Texans running back Lamar Miller rushed for 108 yards on 15 carries against the Chiefs in September 2014, which resulted in 7.2 yards per carry. Houston can't solely rely on Osweiler on offense, so a lot of production will have to come from the backfield in this one.

It's possible that Miller can exploit holes in the linebacker core for the Chiefs in this one, if he is able to get past the defensive line. Once again, I expect the defense to make just enough plays to hold of Houston on the road. Prediction: Chiefs 19, Texans 14

Week 3: Sept. 25, vs. New York Jets

The Jets boast a defensive line that could limit the Chiefs running game in this one. Sheldon Richardson, Steve McLendon and Leonard Williams could all wreak havoc on the Chiefs offensive line. The Jets' defense ranked second in 2015 in rushing yards allowed (1,335).

The defense of the Jets only allowed four rushing touchdowns in 2015, too. I don't see Charles excelling in this one. The passing game will have to win this one for the Chiefs, which I don't think will happen. New York pulls one out here. Prediction: Jets 24, Chiefs 17

Week 4: Oct. 2, at Pittsburgh Steelers

This figures to be the toughest, most physical game for Kansas City in the first four weeks before the team's Bye week. Ben Roethlisberger has a career completion percentage of 71 percent against the Chiefs in five games. While he's thrown eight touchdowns in his career against the Chiefs, Kansas City has been able to intercept him three different times.

Running back Le'Veon Bell was slapped with a four game suspension in July for violation of the NFL's substance abuse policy. However, nearly a month later after an appeal, Bell's suspension was reduced to three games, making him available to play the Chiefs in Week 4.

The combination of Roethlisberger, Bell and wide receiver Antonio Brown will serve an extremely tough test for the Chiefs on Thursday Night Football. This is a game where all facets of the Chiefs' game struggles. Prediction: Steelers 30, Chiefs 13

Week 5: Bye

Week 6: Oct. 16, at Oakland Raiders

Some believe that Oakland has a shot to take hold of the AFC West in 2016 with Denver down and injury questions facing the Chiefs on defense. Quarterback Derek Carr and defensive end Khalil Mack offer hope to an organization that hasn't seen the playoffs since 2002.

However, I think the Chiefs get this one done after a week off. They'll be fresh in this one. Prediction: Chiefs 27, Raiders 13

Week 7: Oct. 23, vs. New Orleans Saints

Although he isn't quite what he has been in years past, Drew Brees is still an incredibly powerful weapon for New Orleans. The Chiefs have held Brees to an average of about 260 yards per game, which is rather impressive considering the numbers he has produced over his career.

This will be a high scoring affair. Smith will have his hands full in keeping up with Brees. However, the defense could get a huge lift, as Houston will be eligible to come off of the PUP list in this one. Predication: Chiefs 34, Saints 31

Week 8: Oct. 30, at Indianapolis Colts

It's most likely that the Chiefs will be dealing with some injuries by Week 8. Hopefully, for their sake, it's nothing too serious. Not too many are high on the Colts for 2016--much of their success is riding on Andrew Luck. I think Kansas City goes in and takes care of business in this one here. Prediction: Chiefs 27, Colts 19

Week 9: Nov. 6, vs. Jacksonville Jaguars

Just like the Raiders, there's a few optimistic people out their that believe the Jaguars can do something positive in 2016. I just don't see it here. Blake Bortles is an average-at-best quarterback in my opinion. I'll need to see Jacksonville play well for a full season before I give them an possibility at success.

Charles could have a breakout game in this one. I think he rushes for 150 yards or more in Week 9 here. Prediction: Chiefs 30, Jaguars 10

Week 10: Nov. 13, at Carolina Panthers

So far, I have the Chiefs at 6-2, and I think that's a best case scenario for them at this point in the season. 2015 MVP Cam Newton will be probably the toughest test for Kansas City in 2016. All around, this looks like a tough game to think that the Chiefs have a chance.

If they want to be a serious contender for the Super Bowl, though, this will be one that they'll have to compete in. I don't expect them to win, but I think they keep it close until the end. Prediction: Panthers 34, Chiefs 20

Week 11: Nov. 20, vs. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Second-year quarterback Jameis Winston will look to build upon his rookie season in 2016. Some think that Winston, running back Doug Martin and wide receiver Mike Williams could finally put things together and contend for a wild card spot (they're in the same division as Carolina, so they won't win that).

In two games against Tampa Bay, Charles has yet to score a touchdown. The running game could be strong in this one on both sides, between Charles and Martin. It may come down to which defense can make a big stop in the fourth quarter. Prediction: Buccaneers 21, Chiefs 20

Week 12: Nov. 27, at Denver Broncos

In their first meeting of the season, the Broncos figure to be much weaker this season. As of now, Trevor Siemian will be the starter for the Broncos at quarterback. The Chiefs will look to capitalize on the weakness of Denver in 2016 and try to take the division title. Prediction: Chiefs 27, Broncos 17

Week 13: Dec. 4, at Atlanta Falcons

The Falcons could very well find themselves in last place of the NFC South in 2016. Atlanta will likely struggle again in 2016 behind Matt Ryan at quarterback--it's just hard to see anything changing from a dismal 2015 season.

However, Alex Smith has struggled mightily in his two games against the Falcons. He has thrown just one touchdown, contrasted with five interceptions against Atlanta. Smith also has a passer rating that is about 15 points less in a dome than outside. Prediction: Falcons 23, Chiefs 20

Week 14: Dec. 8, vs. Oakland Raiders

In the second matchup against Oakland, this time on Thursday Night Football, I think the Chiefs will get things done handily. They'll already be familiar with Oakland from their meeting in Week 6. Don't expect a letdown in this one. Prediction: Chiefs 20, Raiders 13

Week 15: Dec. 18, vs. Tennessee Titans

This will be the Chiefs' first test against Marcus Mariota. Mariota has shown flashes in his career, but it remains to be seen how exactly he'll perform in 2016. DeMarco Murrary could be a deciding factor in this one. If he returns to his form while with Philadelphia, Kansas City may have their hands full here. I think the Chiefs falter in this one. Prediction: Titans 23, Chiefs 17

Week 16: Dec. 25, vs. Denver Broncos

The fact that this game is on Christmas night against a division-rival, and may pose an opportunity to clinch a division title, means there's no way the Chiefs lose this game. Smith and the rest of the offense will be firing on all cylinders. The defense could have a field day with whoever is playing quarterback for the Broncos. Prediction: Chiefs 31, Broncos 17

Week 17: Jan. 1, at San Diego Chargers

San Diego could find themselves fighting for a playoff spot here, but not for the division title. I still expect the Chiefs to play an emotional game and get things done on the West Coast. Prediction: Chiefs 19, Chargers 14

I have the Chiefs finishing the season with a record of 11-5. A lot can happen throughout the course of a football season, so be prepared. It's very possible that the Chiefs could finish a couple games better or worse than what I've predicted.

Stay tuned. It's going to be a fun season of football in Kansas City.