A Positive Note On Depression

A Positive Note On Depression

A short essay about depression

36
A Positive Note On Depression
Free Great Picture

I may write about this topic more in the future, but for now, I hope you enjoy this post.

When I was younger, I lost several years of my life to severe depression. When I say severe, I mean it was to the point that I couldn’t function properly. These weren’t just bad days or weeks. This lasted for years. It, unfortunately, slowed my life down, a lot. So many seemed to graduate from high school, go to college, get a degree, find an internship and maybe even get a job all by the time I was just entering college.

I didn’t go to college right away like most of my friends. And when I started going, it was initially part-time. That’s all I was able to handle. I worked and saved some money, but I couldn’t get the depression to leave easily. Progress was slow, but it did eventually happen. I was grateful when it finally happened.

It seems odd to me when I think about the common social perspective on depression. Granted, I believe that people tend to be a bit more informed about it these days, but there are still things that I’ve had to explain to grown adults that I felt like they would have learned by now. Some people think you can just snap out of it like it’s just a bad mood or something. Some get it, while others don’t seem to realize that it’s just not like that. Depression isn’t cured by watching a happy movie or having one good day. And believe it or not, you can be depressed and still have good days. I know. It’s not just sadness or loneliness. It goes deeper than that. It’s not a regular healthy emotion. Sadness can be a helpful and healthy emotion. Depression is different. It’s a disorder that people live with.

I don’t have the ability to entirely describe depression for someone that’s gone through it other than myself. I can only tell my own story and relate my own experiences if people are curious enough to inquire. For one thing, my depression was very situational. I spent years battling what doctors call major depression. And there are several different types of depression that I’ve never experienced. Still, I find myself trying to be sympathetic to my friends that have varying forms of it, even if I can’t entirely relate to their individual diagnosis.

Some people battle persistent depressive disorder, others, bipolar disorder, while others have seasonal affective disorder (SAD) and other forms abound. These are all real and persistent conditions. They’re just as real as mine was.

Thankfully, I haven’t been truly depressed in years. I consider myself a very happy and healthy person, for the most part, these days. I don’t hurt the way I used to. It took me an incredibly long time to conquer it and I try to be understanding to those that may never completely conquer it. I wish to be helpful and encouraging to those that still struggle.

Because of my experiences, I avidly believe we, as a society, should be supportive of those that are still struggling and may continue to struggle throughout their lives. We should be patient and kind. We shouldn’t assume that we know everything about what’s going on for them. To this day I have a hard time when people assume certain things about me concerning that and what it caused without first being informed. Depression took many things from me that I have since decided to take back. But my story is only mine. And all of us have stories to tell.

I know great teachers, neighbors and friends that struggle in varying ways. They are valued and wonderful people. In fact, one of the best teachers I’ve ever had struggles with depression immensely and I admire them greatly for all that they are able to do, and not despite their condition, but perhaps because of it. They’re a miracle and a wonder as far as I’m concerned. They give hope to others around them because of their perseverance. And I’m glad to have people like that in my life.

It is because of my experiences with depression that I am who I am today. And that's something I don't regret in the slightest.