Player Spotlight: Quinton Dunbar

Player Spotlight: Quinton Dunbar

Dunbar’s Herculean Performance Against The Giants

7
Player Spotlight: Quinton Dunbar
FoxSports.com

Quinton Dunbar went undrafted in 2015 after playing at the University of Florida for four years. He played primarily played Wide Receiver with the Gators. Dunbar had his best year was in 2013 as a Junior year when he led the team in receiving touchdowns. Ironically, teammate Jordan Reed led the team in receptions this year while Dunbar was second with 36 receptions.

Last summer, Dunbar stood out during training camp. He was primarily playing special teams, but he was impressing coaches left and right with his athletic ability. After the Redskins suffered multiple injuries on the defensive side of the field, Jay Gruden and the coaching staff decided to give him a try to cornerback. Dunbar last played cornerback in high school, but back in August of last year, Gruden was quick to point out that he has "a ways to go" to be completely caught up at the position. After the official switch last year, Dunbar said, “I know the mentality [of a wide receiver].” I know when you’re a D-back you've got to stay patient, because the receiver tries to get you off the landmark. So, [the transition is] kind of easy right now.” He started the season on the practice squad after not making the 53-man roster, and was improving at his new position throughout most of the year.

Throughout last season, Dunbar played on special teams and did his job, but it was not until week 12 against the Giants last season when he saw the bulk of his snaps at cornerback. Throughout the game, he was challenged with guarding Odell Beckham Jr and struggled, but he was primarily lined up against Rueben Randle. Dunbar made a huge play and intercepted Eli Manning late in the game.

Let’s take you through the play (pictures courtesy of thewashingtonpost.com).

On the goal line he is guarding Randle one – on – one

You can see that Randle took one step to the right to fake Dunbar and then cuts through the middle on a slant route.

The throw by Eli Manning was a little behind Randle, but Dunbar undercut the route and made a huge interception at the goal line.

The Redskins ultimately won this game, which jumpstarted their run to end the season and win the NFC East. Including this game, they won five of their last six games down the stretch.

Week Three Versus The Giants

Again, Quinton Dunbar stepped up for the Redskins in a crucial game against the Giants. The Redskins could not afford to lose and start the season 0-3. This would be in an enormous hole to climb out of.

In the win, Dunbar record recorded a catch and interception. Both were crucial plays. He was the first player to do this in a game since Champ Bailey in 2000.

Let’s first take a look at the catch. It was not your normal reception. Down 24-23 towards the end of the third quarter, facing a fourth and twelve, Gruden called for a fake punt. Punter Tress Way lobbed a ball to #47 who reeled in the 31 yard pass for a first down. He even drew the pass interference call which did not matter. Dunbar said after the game, “On third down, Coach came up to me and said, ‘We gonna make it and we gonna call this play so be ready.’ I focused in and when they called the play, I made the play.” The Redskins know Dunbar has great hands from his years at Florida as a WR, but the Giants certainly did not know this. The drive resulted in a go ahead field goal to take the lead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V29rVFasBww

Dunbar could not wait one drive before making another impact play. After Brashad Breeland went down with an injury earlier in the game, Dunbar was forced to step in at cornerback. Similar to last year, the Giants were striking in the red zone in the fourth quarter and Dunbar was in one on one coverage. On this play he had an even tougher matchup, covering Will Tye, the 260lb tight end. Not only did he make the interception, but he made it in spectacular fashion. He snagged it with one hand and again showed his versatility and his uncanny act for making big players.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-Z1uVoiq6o

These two plays were the difference in the Redskins victory.

The Redskins need to find a way to keep Quinton Dunbar on the field. Whenever he is in the game he is making crucial and special plays. He is a playmaker.

#HTTR