Why English Is the Most Valuable Subject Taught In School

When it comes to the real world, how often do you really use the quadratic formula?

4324
Revelist

I think English is the most practically valuable subject taught in school. Now, before every STEM supporter lists the millions of reasons why math and science are more applicable, let me explain. When I say this, I mean generally, as a whole population of young adults, getting a quality education in English holds more value than learning calculus. The majority of people, including many students, think English is irrelevant after middle school. Here is why I think they are entirely wrong.

While the basics of English do not change, one can never stop growing in their writing skills and ability to comprehend literature and rhetorical devices. How eloquently you speak and write can always improve. This is a skill necessary to present yourself as a well-educated member of society and a functioning adult. This also allows for greater self- expression in a mature, respectable way (something many people are incapable of doing in this day and age) . The ability to grasp the deeper meanings behind literature and rhetoric provides many added wonders to your life. With this ability one can understand philosophy and moralities. This allows us to take in principles of life, and a wide range of knowledge on human flaws and behavior. The world of literature opens all of this to a person.

Math and science, in their simpler forms, are vital to various parts of every day life and knowledge of how the world works. Although, for the average Joe who does not plan on becoming an engineer, an education past Algebra 1 in math is practically unnecessary. Not to say it isn't important or worth teaching, because it 100% is. However, in the grand scheme of things, it is more valuable to the rest of a student's life to learn English-related skills than to be able to do trigonometry. High levels of math and science only pertain to select careers. I do not mean to devalue how important these subjects are as these careers are especially imperative to the progress we need in the world to move forward. Although for a socially functional society, the ability to express and communicate is more valuable in one's everyday life than the Pythagorean theorem.

When it comes to application in the real world, skills that are given to students in English are used daily versus the skills given to a student in Pre-Calculus. Clear and reliable forms of writing are valuable to preserving the history of people, and without history, we would resort to even greater extents of insanity in not learning from our mistakes. Literature provides us a source of entertainment and motivation to use imagination and creativity. The ability to understand politicians is greatly reliant on having a good understanding of argument and rhetorical devices. This knowledge allows us to be able to decipher the truth from the trick in the way people speak. Most importantly, a great amount of social and communication skills come from the subject of English. Understanding how to talk to people respectably and in a way that ensures everyone is on the same level of idea is a skill you will never cease to use and that holds extreme weight when functioning in society.

Math and science are still extremely important subjects alongside English. Different types of people will take to understanding and applying each subject. Immense respect goes out to those that click with STEM related subjects, because it takes a certain type of person to appreciate and genuinely grasp more difficult subjects as such. While they are still important to learn, overall, the subject that holds the greatest value on the day to day life of any person is English.