Philadelphia Welcomes Back "The Man"

Philadelphia Welcomes Back "The Man"

We Really Do Miss You, Chase!

11
Philadelphia Welcomes Back "The Man"
Philly Mag

This past week, "the man" returned to the City of Brotherly Love - but this time, he wasn't wearing a Phillies jersey. Sometimes, Philadelphia fans don't catch the greatest wrap, but there's no denying that we displayed our kindest heart and our utmost gratitude when "Kashmir" played one last time on Tuesday evening.

Last season, Chase Utley was traded to the Los Angeles, Dodgers. The former Phillies second-baseman was a member of the '08 World Series team and played for the Phils since 2003 when he made his MLB debut. If you were one of the FEW people who still complain at the remarks Chase made at the parade that year, please take a seat. The truth is and probably the most wonderful aspect of all of the commotion, Chase Utley probably will not make the Hall of Fame. Other teams or fans really don't understand what exactly it is that made this "welcome home" mean any more than other past-Phils to come back to play as a visitor at CBP.

I'm telling you now, Utley is not the best player in Philadelphia Phillies history by any stretch of the universe. What Utley has, however, that not many other Phillies (athletes for that matter) have, is the ability to consistently work hard! That right there is what this city is - middle class people, die-hard and deep-rooted sports fans who believe whole heartedly in the grit and the grind.

Easily the most humbled player in Phillies history, Utley did service on and off the field without much notice. There is so much that people fail to realize that equates to our city's love for #26. When he led-off for the first of the three game series, Chase and the rest of the world finally caught a glimpse at what I am most proud of as a Philadelphia sports fan. We give credit where credit is due. Chase Utley left without a good-bye and what better way to welcome him back than a standing ovation that stalled the first pitch for just a moment. It was an absolutely breathtaking moment of gratitude between an entire city and one of our favorites.

Chase delivered, like Chase normally does in his nervous situations - pulling big numbers for the Dodgers in the series. Something Phillies fans have never done before, we cheered so viciously that Chase; an L.A Dodger, in his blue and white uniform, came back from the visitors dug-out to give the crowd a curtain-call.

So, you may not like us! Phillies fans, we are brutal, die-hard, and ruthless but simultaneously we are loyal, passionate, and most of all, thankful. Thankful for the many flawless athletes who represent our city, the city, day in and day out. And, a special kind of thankful for the players who leave a small piece of themselves when they leave.

Although the next time Dan Baker announces "#26, Second Baseman, Chase Utley" we won't hear Kashmir and we won't witness Chase wave his helmet in acknowledgement, we will always welcome him back and forever be thankful for the memories he made in our city.

A great, great, great man by the name of Harry Kalas once, "Chase Utley, you are the man!" I think it goes without saying, HK, like usual, was right again, - Chase Utley, you truly are the man!

With Love,
Philadelphia