Chase Utley: Will His Controversial Move Help Other Players In The Future?

Once a Philadelphia Phillies Hero, now a controveral star of The Los Angeles Dodgers.

21
Slate

In the series that will determine who will face the Chicago Cubs for the title of the National League Champions, The New York Mets and The Los Angeles Dodgers have been battling to keep their playoff dreams alive. While all eyes have been glued to the incredible pitching staffs of both teams, the real story of the series is Chase Utley, a designated hitter for the Dodgers who was once a Philadelphia Phillies great; Utley had a controversial play in the second game of the series against the Mets where he slid into Ruben Tejada, the Mets' shortstop, and broke his leg in a collision.

The play itself is up in the air. Some would argue that Utley made a good play and used his base running skills in order to prevent a double play and others feel like Utley slid too late and attempted to collide with Tejada intentionally. One truth is universal: no one likes to watch an athlete get injured. Tejada beat out Wilmar Flores for the position of starting shortstop for the series against The Dodgers. Tejada made an appearance at the beginning of game three, walking onto the field with a cane. Fans in Flushing Queens roared with applause with their fallen hero and chanted throughout the game trying to provoke Utley out of the dugout of the Dodgers.

In an age where player safety is a hot topic issue, what will be the result of this injury to a major league player during a nationally televised game? To start, Utley was given a two-game suspension by MLB. The suspension was immediately appealed by Utley and The Dodgers. MLB will hear the appeal on Monday. Utley will be able to finish out the series with The Mets. The series is currently tied 2-2 and game five will be played in Los Angeles.

The two major questions that have been brought up as a result of the Utley/ Tejada collision are "How will MLB make the game safer for defenseless fielders?" and "Is a two-game suspension for much a major injury appropriate especially when the punishment will not be carried out in the series?" MLB has instituted new rules this season in order to help protect catchers against base runners colliding with them in order to score. It seems extremely likely that the league will attempt to institute rules to help protect fielders from facing the same fate as Tejada. In terms of carrying out the suspension in a timely fashion, fans are outraged at MLB. If The Mets win game five of the series, the suspension will not matter in terms of this season. If the Dodgers win the series, they will go into a seven-game series against The Cubs without one of their veteran batters for two games.

To some, Utley will be remembered as a Phillies hero and this is just a blemish on an otherwise fruitful career. To most Mets fans, Utley will be remembered as the man who took out a beloved shortstop in one of the most important games in the franchise's history. To baseball fans in general, Utley will be remembered as the man who didn't touch second base, broke a man's leg, walked off the field, and was deemed safe.