Do 'Personalized' Acne Treatments Actually Work?

I Tried Personalized Acne Medicine For A Month, Here's What Went Down

Here's how my experience went.

29
Madeline Dziak

Acne is something that we live with throughout our lives, and whether we lived with acne or not, it's natural. Back in the days, I had very bad acne and I knew that it had to be controlled in some way. I was on some face medicine prescribed by a dermatologist I went to and it did work in the end so once everything was toned down, I decided to work myself off of it. But there were days where I would have a bad breakout of acne and I didn't have any face medicine so I would resort to borrowing my brother's face medicine or continuously wash my face. Then I decided to do something I've been thinking about doing for a while.

A couple of times, I saw ads for "Curology" which is where you fill out a questionnaire about yourself, your medical history, and your skin concerns and also send pictures to show what your skin looks like before. You are then assigned a dermatologist who can contact you through the site with questions and they create this formula for you that is personalized for you. Then you can do a free trial with only paying for shipping (which was $4.95) and then bam. So one random night at eleven at night (smart idea on my part), I filled out the questionnaire and went to bed. The next day I woke up and saw that I was assigned a dermatologist and that she was working on my personalized formula. A few days later, I got an email saying that my formula was ready and was mailed out.

I got the formula a couple of days later in the mail.

Madeline Dziak

I did the super bottle with the Curology cleaner and moisturizer. The routine went like this:

In the morning, I cleaned my face with the cleanser and used the moisturizer.

In the evening, I used the cleanser, put on the prescription, and then the moisturizer.

I think if I remember, this is supposed to last me about a month and if I like it, I can go to a larger version that will last me two months.

So with that being said, this is what I looked like before I started:

Madeline Dziak

And this is me one month later (also known as a few minutes ago):

Madeline Dziak

Now a few things have changed between the month with those pictures, one of them being my hair because I got a hair cut and it's so much shorter. But if we look at it in regard to my acne with the two pictures, it doesn't look like there was a difference. But between the days, I noticed that there were days when I had great days but also days when my acne would just be like "hey, Maddie what's up!" and that's normal with my face.

I don't know how my face will look soon, but will I say to go buy it? Here's my thing: try the trial, and if it doesn't work then cancel it. But if you do go the route of continuing the formula, it's pretty pricy.

But if it's for controlled acne, then I'm good with that.