Part Three of Telling the Differences Between a Road Bike and a Mountain Bike

Part 3 of a 3-part series

58

So, in the first two parts of this article, we discussed the differences in road bike and mountain bike suspension, (or lack thereof), and why each bike style has these drastic design differences. This third installment of this topic will address and explain the smaller differences that differentiate a road bike from a mountain bike.

The second biggest difference between a road bike and a mountain bike, is the style of the tires. Mountain bikes generally have wider, fuller tires, with very pronounced tread. Road bikes, on the contrary, have very skinny tires, with less pronounced tread, (some don't have any tread, much like a "slick" tire on a race car).The reason there is such a drastic difference in the tire's physical qualities, is because the mountain bike tire is designed to grab onto the surface it's riding on, even if the surface is loose or bumpy. Wider tires with more aggressive traction make this much more possible. However, road bikes use skinny tires with less emphasized tread, because this is more aerodynamic, and having less tread actually helps with the road bike tire's contact points with the road, especially during cornering. Not only do they look much different, but they serve much more differenct purposes, once again.

One final thing that is usually always different between a road bike and a mountain bike, is the frame. The top tube of a road bike's frame is almost always completely horizontal, while a mountain bike's top frame tube is lower at the rear than it is at the front, giving the bike a more "arched" look. This may seem like a mere style difference, but this actually has to do with the bike frame's stability, and the position of the rider. A road biker needs to be in a more aerodynamic, "tucked" position while riding, to cut through the wind, and allow for a faster speed. A mountain biker isn't nearly as concerned about aerodynamics, and focuses much more on shifting his or her body weight to maneuver through the changing elevations and obstacles of the trail he or she is on. The difference in frame design accommodates for the rigidity of the bike's structure, as well as the transfer of energy through out the bike.

Whether you're a mountain biker or a road biker, it's good to know the differences between each style of bike, so that you know what to look for when buying parts or looking for a bike that fits your needs. Hopefully this article was helpful to anyone who wanted to know the key differences between each style of bike. Both are fun to ride, and provide both exercise and enjoyment.