Parkinson's Disease: Be Brave

Parkinson's Disease: Be Brave

The disease that destroys cells, but not hope.

95
Parkinson's Disease: Be Brave
nbacf.org

For me, Parkinson's Disease was never a disease that I really thought about a lot, and that's the case with many people. There's really only one connection that people may make with Parkinson's disease: Michael J. Fox. A well known actor and author, Fox announced his struggle with Parkinson's in 1999, and turned his energy towards creating the Michael J. Fox Foundation to raise awareness for the disease and donate to research for cures. (The link for this foundation is at the bottom of my article. Feel free to check it out!)

So what exactly is Parkinson's disease? Affecting about one in every 100 people who are around 60 years old, Parkinson's is a neurological disorder that results in the loss of certain brain cells that produce dopamine. Dopamine is a chemical that helps control the signals in your brain that allow you to move around. Losing these cells and having reduced amounts of dopamine results in uncontrolled movements and in some cases, a loss of movement. This causes the tremors and shaking that are usually linked with Parkinson's disease, although every patient is different. Other symptoms include drooling, little facial expression, an uneven gait, and problems swallowing and talking. More research on Parkinson's has also shown its effect on the muscles on the left side of the body, which typically tighten and become stronger than the right side. This causes the person to lean to the left constantly. Again, every person is different, but these symptoms are good signs of the disease.

Unfortunately, the cause of Parkinson's isn't clear. Some research points to a mutated gene, suggesting that the disease is hereditary. Other research points to medications that contain certain chemicals. Some scientists believe it's a mixture of the two. However, not knowing the direct cause makes it even harder to find a direct cure. And in many cases, people are diagnosed very late or not at all, so they don't receive medications to ease the symptoms when they need them. It's also important to understand that Parkinson's disease itself is not fatal, but the symptoms can be. Falling due to lack of strength and balance can lead to death, as well as choking on food due to difficulty swallowing. Anyone who has Parkinson's will benefit greatly from having someone close by at all times to make sure they are safe.

Now you might be wondering why this girl "randomly" chose to write an article about Parkinson's disease. About four years ago, my grandmother was diagnosed with Parkinson's. During the first two years, the disease wasn't showing too much, but now, two years later, she's confined to using a wheelchair and crawling on the floor. She was very fortunate to have a pump inserted in her stomach to deliver her medication more effectively, and the improvement in her strength is incredible, but the depressing part about Parkinson's is that it's always there. However, if there is anyone more stubborn than the disease, it would be my grandmother. She still has our family over for dinners, attends church every week, goes out with friends, and is the same loving Italian grandmother that all four of her grandkids grew up to know. And if there was an award given to the best advocate, it would be given to my grandfather. From all of the phone calls to the online research to the seminars and endless pamphlets, he might know more about the disease than some of the doctors do. He fights for his wife everyday and it never goes unnoticed.

As for me, my grandmother and her battle with Parkinson's is my biggest inspiration to become a physical therapist. I see the benefits her therapy sessions have on her everyday life, even if they're as small as reaching into the silverware drawer, because it means being able to still live in the place that she calls home. She's regaining strength and mobility, and the positivity these therapists bring into what may seem like a sad life is amazing. I hope that one day I'm able to make that difference in someone else's life just like my grandmother's therapists have.

Of course, I'd rather have this ugly disease become curable and never exist again, but the future is bright. So for all of those still fighting and for their families by their side, be brave.

Michael J. Fox's Foundation: https://www.michaeljfox.org/