Overcoming Depression

Overcoming Depression

Depression is a scary, dark place; however, you can blossom out of it.

31
Photo by Sydney Sims on Unsplash

I'll be honest, I hate depression. I am pretty sure you all can attest to that statement. I have been on depression medication for about three years now... yeah, it helps, but not in the way I want it to. I promise you that there is hope. I have found some ways that work for me, and hopefully they can work for you too!

1. Wake up, open your blinds, and listen to songs that make you happy. 

Trust me when I tell you that sunlight is therapeutic. Start your morning bright and uplifting. While you're taking a shower or getting ready, listen to some upbeat music! Opening the blinds and listening to music will get you awake and ready for the day. If nothing goes right during your day, you can be happy that you had a morning to relax and have time to yourslelf

2. Every morning look in the mirror and compliment yourself. 

I started doing this recently, and it has really boosted my confidence. I have big problems with my self worth and letting people's opinions affect me. Reminding myself of who I really am every morning helps me. Sometimes I even write cheesy things on my mirror with dry erase marker. Starting the day by loving yourself is the best way to go.

3. Keep a journal of all your daily blessings. 

When I am depressed, I tend to focus on everything horrible in my day. It really gets me down and makes me sad. I found that writing down every good thing that happens to me makes me focus on what really matters. We tend to get so caught up on the negative things in life that we forget to thank God for the blessings He gives us daily.

4. Go to the doctor's and get medication. 

Honestly, this isn't for everyone. I was skeptical at first. I didn't want to be known as "the girl who is on medication because she can't control her emotions". I finally decided to try it, and I saw a huge difference. My doctor prescribed me Celexa, which helps take in serotonin. I am very glad that I took the opportunity to take meds. Don't ever be ashamed of asking your doctor for help. Sometimes, we can't do it alone. We need help, and that's okay.

5. Surround yourself with positive people. 

I am going to be point blank with you. If negative people are causing you anxiety, cut them out. They are not worth your time. You deserve friends who will encourage and love you. Don't settle for just anyone.

6. Go out and have fun with your friends. 

Going out with my friends is a great way to get my mind off of everything. Let loose and have fun! You deserve it. :)