Our Ray Of Light And Little Monster

Our Ray Of Light And Little Monster

How Nick Behringer changed the world and the lives of those who knew him.

146
Our Ray Of Light And Little Monster
Nick Behringer

As I interviewed people for this article, I was blown away by how many lives he touched. Nick was an ally for me in high school when I was being bullied, and an amazing friend to so many. I had the privilege of hearing funny memories of Nick and his quick wit as well as how Nick truly left an amazing impact on every single person he met. Nick was the kind of friend that you meet once in a lifetime. His untimely passing shocked everyone and made us all ask the same question: Why? Why must he be taken from this world when he had such an amazing future ahead of him and so much good to do in this world.

His father, Mike Behringer, told me his sons passion and how Nick planned to change the world.

"He drew a lot of inspiration from Lady Gaga. He just wanted people to be comfortable being who they are. It took him a while to feel that way himself, but when he finally did... He jumped in with both feet.
He wanted to make music that was unlike other music. He wanted to be a music producer and work with people who might not make it because their music wasn't mainstream enough. He wanted nothing to be mainstream. He could sense when people needed a lift, a smile or just someone to listen. He always came with a willing smile and wanted to make people laugh when they needed it most. We always felt like people liked him, but had no real idea the impact he had on countless people. And that's really what made him Nick.
He didn't do it so anyone would know he did it. He just did it because that's who he is. We will miss him immensely and we're trying really hard not to be mad at anyone for taking him to heaven much too soon. I'm sure heaven needs people like him, but we selfishly weren't ready for him to be gone."

The following are all the memories Nick created with those around him. Nick was such a bright light in this dark world and I write this article to share him with the world because he was such a superstar. Nick, you were one of a kind and will be missed forever. But you live on in all of our hearts and we can't wait to see you again.

Alexa Albright

"Nick is, was, and will always be my best friend. Nick had a way of making anyone feel like they could be their authentic self. He had a way of lighting up any room he walked into. When Nick and I first met, I was a shy little twelve year old but something about nick made me go out of my way to befriend him and from that day on I was never alone.

Nick was my confidence, I could go to him with anything and everything and he would never judge me. I will miss laughing for hours about nothing and the deep talks about life. Nick forever changed my life. He showed me what unconditional love is and what it means to be a true friend to someone. Nick taught me how to be myself and to not care about the opinions of others. I will forever be thankful for our time together and for the things that he taught me."

Allie Lopez

"Nick is such a vibrant, bright, happy soul. He was a lover of life. He made an impact on everyone he came into contact with and always encouraged us to follow our dreams and love ourselves. I met Nick in 6th grade at Randall Middle School. He used to walk with us to Park Square on Friday’s. The first time he went with us, it was pouring down rain outside. After sitting in a breezeway at Park Square, Nick got up and went and played in the rain. We all followed him and had the best time.

From that point forward, I knew he would be a good friend of mine. And he surely was. He could make anyone laugh. He was trustworthy, honest, and lovable. One of the greatest guys I’ve ever met. He taught me how to love life, love my self, and do what I needed to do to be happy. He will be missed tremendously, but I’m forever grateful for the time that I had with Nick."

Chante Pleak

"Nick saved me from myself. He knew I was having a really rough start to my freshman year of college and he always made it a point to text me little reminders of how everything will work out. He somehow would always send me little messages to remind me that things were going to be ok. He was one of those beautiful people who never asked what was the pain behind a smile, but just simply knew how to make a genuine smile appear.

He was always one of those people you could go weeks without talking to but when your lives finally had a chance to slow down and cross each other, it was like no time had passed. Nick's spirit, I will never say goodbye to, because I will continue to carry him with me. I hope that his positivity can be passed on through everyone he touched. That's what he would have wanted. He left a legacy, he changed the world. It may seem like a small part but realistically it's more of the world then most people his age get to change."

Megan Swe and Courtney Simenson

Speaking with Megan and Courtney, they were laughing about the memories they had with him over the years. The time Courtney peed her pants laughing so hard at something Nick said at Busch Gardens to Megan’s memory of his sharp wit and how it was always perfectly timed. They talked about how Nick would’ve produced their reality show and how they would send it into MTV hoping they’d like it. They remembered his unique language that he created. Oh and Nick apparently always had super comfortable beds.

Beth Burchfield

"Nick was a very special person to many, even more so than I think any of us realized. Befriending him in school was easily one of the best decisions I could’ve made. With high school already being difficult socially, Nick never strayed away from his true self. Nick was one of the first people in my life to teach me about the LGBT community and how important our acceptance and love is to people, no matter how different they may seem.

I think we all would agree that Nick was one of the funniest people we knew. His hearty belly laugh was contagious and he could literally have me laughing until I could not breathe. It is one of the things I will remember most about him but also miss the most. Nick also gave me the sweetest/funniest birthday gift I have ever received. He created a photo album for me called “Creeping on Beth”, in which he printed out pictures he had taken, some posed and some I had no idea were taken. He wrote me notes with memories and compliments of our friendship. I am so lucky to have this gift to look back on and remember our great times.

Nick was amazing at making you feel like a million bucks. His compliments were so genuine and sincere. I will never forget being in the car with Nick after school when a new Lady Gaga song came out on the radio. It had come on earlier than he expected and he screamed to the top of his lungs out of pure excitement. As someone who experienced his Lady Gaga obsession from the near beginning, I can honestly say she played a huge role in his life.

He told me once that she had literally saved his life. I admire her so much for allowing such a treasured person in my life feel confident and comfortable being himself, because he was such a remarkable man. In a situation so tragic, I think we can all take away some great memories and reminders. Nick would’ve wanted us to remain positive, to be kind to all, and to overall love everyone in your path and make sure they know you love them."

Ryan Shearer

"He helped me understand life on such a deep level. He taught me that art and music have such a profound effect on people that it can save them on many levels. I remember the first time I met him. I got in his car and he saw my tattoo on my wrist that says ARTPOP and he asked me if I was a little monster.

I told him I was and he immediately began to play ARTPOP and I started screaming and gave him a hug and that was when I knew I had met a remarkable person that I would never forget and cherish forever."

Courtney Beal

"Nick was an extraordinary individual who beat to his own drum. His uplifting sense of humor and ability to create comfort brought so much joy into our lives. A smile couldn't shine any brighter than Nick's. It was contagious. We shared so many irreplaceable memories beginning as early as middle school. Nick and I strengthened our bond in our high school yearbook class. We were inseparable.

He touched so many lives and taught us so many valuable lessons about how to care for each other with endless love and a lack of judgement. It is so hard to come by people as special as our Nick. I'll miss his goofy ways and wild heart. His light will shine down on us today and every day to follow."

Troy Halliwell

"Nick and I met in 6th grade at Randall Middle School. I approached him because I had seen his Myspace profile where he jokingly (although truthfully) named himself Mr. Cool. I said “What’s up Mr. Cool?” which he was alarmed as he was understandably not sure if I was being genuine or sarcastic but I assured him I thought he was cool. This kicked off our one of a kind friendship that would last until his passing.

When was first introduced to his family, they accepted me with open arms as one of their own. This meant so much to me as I had just lost my mom due to cancer. His parents, Mike and Pam, called me their second son, and never failed to make me feel a part of their close knit family, even today. It was when I met his family where I quickly realized where Nick had received many of his magnificent traits.

Nick taught me so many things over the course of our friendship, but one that has helped me the most in my life was to accept people how they came. As many know, Nick was a Lady Gaga fanatic. In fact, fanatic is an understatement considering his passion for her, and her music. When I met Nick, his self-confidence was lacking. He was always worried people were judging him for his way of being.

However, after listening and watching her, and becoming quickly obsessed, I saw an incredible change happen. Nick went from being almost embarrassed of himself, to completely and utterly embracing his uniqueness. He always talked about how her music saved his life, and loved how he was now a part of her fan base which Gaga called her “monsters” where he could be himself without being judged or ridiculed for any reason. He realized that he was “born this way”, as one of her most famous songs said, and I will forever appreciate her for making Nick proud of who he was.

Nick always had a quick wit just like his dad, bound with an amazing sense of humor. I can’t count the number of times he had me on the floor laughing. In fact, going through his various social media accounts recently had me burst out with laughter dozens of times. Nick’s ability to make you laugh was only one of his many wonderful attributes.

Nick had a passion for making anyone he was with feel wanted and admired. Even when feeling down, he would always jump at the chance to make tell you how awesome you were, how much he loved you, and how appreciated you were. Nick had a capability to change people that I wasn’t even fully aware of until after his passing. Before, I had only seen his ability in my own life, which Nick changed tremendously for the better.

However, after his passing, myself, as well as his family, and our mutual friends got to see just how great the impact he made on other people was. Hundreds of people pouring beautiful stories onto his Facebook timeline about how much better their lives were with Nick being in them. Nick was such a selfless person, always willing to lend a hand in any way possible. He would always put others feelings before his own because he couldn’t stand to see his friends or family feeling down.

I will miss Nick with all my heart, and he will never be forgotten. His spirit will live on through myself, and every person he has touched in his life. He was a beautiful soul that lived freely without judgement. He showed me that you should always follow your heart, and do your best to make the world a better place. Rest easy Nick Behringer. I love you."

Brittany English

"Well, I met Nick in Veterinary Assisting in my sophomore year at Newsome. I had a couple of close friends at this time but not many. When we started talking and getting to know each other, we just clicked. He had that effect on a lot of people. He was one of the most genuine and unique individuals I had ever met. He was the type of friend everyone should have.

Nick had such a warm energy about him and he truly lit up any room he walked into. I remember every memory I have of him being pure joy. Pure happiness. The kind of joy that you experience as a child: carefree, no judgements, like feeling the sun on your skin at the beach. Just really happy. I actually was fortunate enough to see him recently, he came into my work to get a haircut and I was with a client myself. I heard him calling my name, and I turned around and saw his bright smile and him waving excitedly at me.

We exchanged small conversation and talked about hanging out soon, we had been talking for months about doing a photo shoot. I never in a million years thought that would be the last time I'd ever see him and that I would never be subject to his amazing work, he was so talented and I always loved his art. But it brings me peace having that memory of him grinning his infectious smile at me.

He cracked a joke at me because I was coloring a clients hair purple. He asked me if I ever actually did any normal hair or if that was against my policy lol. I think that's why we clicked so well, we acknowledged that neither of us were really normal. In fact he was the most extraordinary person I've ever met.

The world needs more people like Nick, more people whose souls radiate joy, and encourage originality, and are genuine. I will always remember him and cherish our time together. I'm thankful that I had the pleasure of knowing such an amazing person, and he has changed my life for the better."

Tyler Reardon

Tyler shared one of his favorite memories of Nick with me.

"The time he pretended he lost the ring when he was ring bearer at his parents vow renewal. it really captured the way he never took life too seriously and was always looking for a way to put a bit of joy into everyone's day."

Kelly Ashby

"Be the light you wish to see. You were that light in all of our lives. You radiated nothing but positivity and love. Family always came first, but with you, you could know someone for five minutes and you made an effort to become family with them. There's something that sticks out about a pure, kind heart. Maybe it's the devoted attention you gave to every conversation, or how you could listen so well and so deeply, yet make everything feel comfortable and right in that given moment.

Your intentions for everyone were nothing but good. You were one of the most unique, giving, loving, interesting, talented people I ever had the pleasure of knowing. The good go way too soon far too often. Nick Behringer you left a mark on this world it so terribly needed. You loved freely and forcefully and that is something that can never be forgotten. You began a movement, Nick. That is something someone can barely do alive, and you've managed to do it gone.

You gave people a reason to believe in not only themselves, but this world we call home. You saw the beauty between the lines. Every "flaw" people would see in themselves, you would see as a "perk." Every negative outcome, you turned positive. With death, families and friends always suffer deeply; it is rare you see an entire community plus more mourning the death of one single soul. But not your soul Nick, for your soul will live on.

Your soul is now energy streaming through our blood streams, shining bright through the sun, glistening in the night sky, sheltering our every move. Energy will never cease to exist, just like you. Your legacy will live on. My heart is with you and your family forever. #WWND"

Jordan Pellerito

"Nick Behringer. The person who could always make you laugh. The person who was a friend to everybody. The person who worked hard every single day to become a person he was proud of. The person who not only followed his own path, but pioneered a completely new path for himself. The person who was, and will remain, an inspiration for every life he touched. “Thank you,” “I miss you,” and “I love you” will never fully describe the way we are all feeling now. Yet, we hope you know we all feel them.

You were truly a ray of sunshine to all of us, and you will be greatly missed for the rest of our lives. You were so gifted, happy, dedicated, loving, and conscious of the world around you. Your gift for and dedication to music inspired me to pursue my dreams. Your love and consciousness of the world around you will be forever remembered by your desire to make the world a better place and positively impact those around you. Your happiness still remains in each of us, and we will do our best to spread it as long as we live.

Thank you for unapologetically being yourself. Thank you for being the humor in our high school classrooms. Thank you for watching the 2012 Vice Presidential Debates with me and laughing so hard at Joe Biden and Paul Ryan that we ended up on the floor. Thank you for making everyone around you feel comfortable and accepted. Thank you for asking me to prom, then saying you weren’t going to prom, and later deciding to go to prom anyway. I always loved your spontaneity and surprises. Thank you for never giving up on your dreams. Thank you for sharing your music with me. Thank you for being in my life. Thank you.

I miss you, your laugh, and your smile. I miss your priceless facial expressions during class. I miss your witty texts and Facebook posts. I miss your artistic photos. I miss the way we continually joked about getting married for the last seven years. I miss your passion for life. I miss your desire to change peoples’ life for the better. I miss your dedication to leading a happy life. I miss you being in my life. I miss you.

I love how concerned you were for the environment, animals, and people. I love how you told me if you were to pass away, that you wanted your ashes to be part of an Eternal Reef. You loved this world so much that if you were taken too soon, you still wanted to make it a better place. I love all of our memories. I love the time we had together. I love that you’re making fun of all of us from above now. I love you.

Nick, you were always too cool for Earth anyway. Everyone knew that. Though we think it’s unfair that you’re gone, we hope you know that you are still so loved and admired, and that you will never, ever be forgotten. Rest in paradise, you beautiful soul. We can’t wait to see you again."

Nick, I will keep your spirit alive by listening to Lady Gaga and living by the hashtag #WWND. I will forever cherish the fact that I got to be your friend. This article will be available to the world forever and I hope lots of people read this and see how amazing you were. You have a legacy that deserves to live on forever. Fly high angel. You will always be everyone's favorite little monster.