Opposite Of Loneliness

Opposite Of Loneliness

Have some good 'ol you-time

16
Opposite Of Loneliness
Google Images

Society has a tough time distinguishing between being alone and being lonely. We tend to associate being alone directly with loneliness, but being alone is actually a good thing. Solitude is a way for us to collect our thoughts and to enjoy a little silence because even the most extroverted person needs a little bit of alone time. Here are just a few ways to enjoy being alone:

1. Take yourself on a movie date

Going to the movies by yourself? Is that possible? Yes. Going to the movies alone is actually very satisfying. You do not have to share your popcorn and you can laugh or cry all you want. Also, there is no debate in the group on which flick to catch! Being in a room full of strangers while sharing the same experience can be peaceful and, at times, liberating.

2. Go to your favorite restaurant, alone

It's always nice to share experiences with friends and family. Trips out to a yummy restaurant make for a greattime with them. But do you ever want to just get up and go to Olive Garden and split the zepolli with yourself? Well, you can! I don't know about you, but eating food gives me my best ideas, much like being in the shower. While you chew on your yummy breadstick, you can think of new projects to start or even mull over a conflict with a friend or a co-worker. Another advantage is that you get to people watch and if you decide that you don't want to be alone, just call up a friend; nobody will refuse food.

3. Go to the beach (if accessible)

I know that we usually think of the beach as a group destination but, and I'm speaking from experience, going to the beach alone is amazing. It is such a liberating experience. If everybody you know is busy, or even if you just want some you time, find a beach and swim and laugh and watch the other beach-goers. Be completely silly, there is nobody to impress.

4. Do some meditation

We get to know people by being around them; we must do this with ourselves as well. You get to know yourself so well when you're alone. There is nobody around to influence your character or actions, and meditating is a perfect way to find you. Go to a favorite quiet spot in the woods or just your backyard and think about your life. Talk to yourself. Talking to ourselves is something that we all do, and is quite therapeutic. Verbalizing your thoughts is a step towards organizing them. Turn off your phone and spend time with yourself.

5. Love yourself

At the end of the day, when you are lying in bed, make sure that you love yourself. If you do not feel like you do today, try again tomorrow. When we are loved, it is such a great feeling, but we cannot rely on the feelings of others. Your true love should be yourself, a concept that many find selfish. If that's the case, I suppose it's okay to be selfish when it comes to your happiness and self-care. You're going to be the only one you've got, someday. And, as everybody says, you cannot truly love somebody fully until you love yourself. You are so important to the world and to everybody, so make sure that one of the people in 'everybody' is you. You're a masterpiece.

These are just a few of the thousands of things that you can do when you want to or need to, be alone. Being alone is okay, and is nothing like being lonely. I hope you find it in your heart to forgive yourself and love yourself.