10 Disney Quotes That Help Explain Depression And Anxiety

I've experienced depression and anxiety secondhand and these are my words of wisdom.

5069

Some things are easier to talk about than others. However, depression and anxiety aren’t on that list. It’s hard to talk about things that you don’t understand, especially if you yourself have not experienced it. I personally do not have depression or anxiety, but there are several people who are close to my heart that do. Watching my loved ones face this darkness every day is heartbreaking, but here are some quotes that give me the hope and support I need to know that everything will be alright.

1. “No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing, the dream that you wish will come true.” - Cinderella

Even though I could wish and wish for depression and anxiety to be non-existent, that sadly won’t make it go away. However, I can keep believing that my family and friends will continue to get better each and every day. Now, some days will be harder than others, but continuing to keep seeking out that day that when they are a little better is worth it to me. I’ll continue believing for them, always.

2. “We didn’t set out to be superheroes. But sometimes life doesn’t go the way you planned.” - Big Hero 6

Family members and friends of those who are suffering with depression or anxiety are not superheroes…but they can be in a sense. Being there for those who need you can go a long way, and just listening can make a huge difference.

3. “Love is putting someone else’s needs before yours.” -Frozen

Loving and supporting those with depression is SO important. Showing them that you care and that you’re there for them is crucial. For those with depression, self love is minimal; however, reminders from loved ones that they’re loved and appreciated is essential. Helping to raise their self esteem and promoting self love can make a big difference in their lives. Most importantly making an effort to understand what they’re going through and doing anything you can to help them overcome it is worth so much.

4. “No matter how the wind howls, the mountain cannot bow to it.” - Mulan

Remind your loved ones that depression and anxiety don’t define them and that even though it takes over their daily routines, they should keep standing tall and pushing forward. And most importantly, that you’re there with them through whatever they're going through.

5. “There are those who say fate is something beyond our command. That destiny is not our own, but I know better. Our fate lives within us, you only have to be brave enough to see it.” - Brave

Depression and anxiety can affect anyone. What’s mind blowing to me is that most of the time, you don’t know that someone is being severely affected by it unless they open up to you. Pay attention to those around you and maybe you can change someone’s fate by picking up on the subtle signs. Those who deal with depression and anxiety are extremely brave, but extra support can help bring out more courage in them so they can overcome some of those demons that have a hold over their daily lives.

6. “Cheer up, Child. It’ll turn out all right in the end. You’ll see…” - Beauty and the Beast

Today might not be a good day and tomorrow might not be either…but, there will be good days and those good days will add up.

7. “The world is dark, and selfish, and cruel. If it finds even the slightest ray of sunshine, it destroys it!” - Tangled

I’ve seen the horrors of depression and anxiety and this quote describes it well. Although depression and anxiety block out the sunshine, we can still try to find a way to let some sunshine back in. Look for happy and positive things to bring into your loved ones’ lives.

8. “Hakuna Matata it means no worries for the rest of your days.” - The Lion King

This is one of my favorite quotes. It’s definitely something that keeps positivity on my mind and hopefully yours too. Even though depression and anxiety can weigh heavily on your loved ones, helping ease their minds can potentially lessen some of their worries. Their worries unfortunately won’t go completely away, but being there for them can make it a little easier.

9. “I’m afraid so. You’re entirely bonkers. But I’ll tell you a secret. All the best people are.” - Alice In Wonderland

I know that anxiety and depression can make those who suffer from it feel ‘bonkers’ so to speak. The feelings that they have are uncontrollable and seemingly irrational, but it’s not from their lack of knowing so. Although they’re aware that their thoughts and feelings aren’t “normal”, for lack of a better word, it doesn’t mean that they are any less of a person and should be treated as such. Just because someone has one of these disorders it doesn’t make them any less amazing than anyone else. After all, Alice said it pretty well, “All the best people are”, and not to be biased, but it just so happens that the people I love most in this world do happen to suffer from depression, anxiety, or both.

10. “If ever there is a tomorrow when we’re not together there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we’re apart I’ll always be with you.” - The Adventures of Winnie the Pooh

This quote doesn’t need much explanation; I firmly believe what it says. I’ll always be there for my loved ones in need. After all, what are family and friends for?

I can’t say that I’m an expert on depression and anxiety, because the truth is that most of the time I have no clue how to help my loved ones whenever it gets worse. I just do my best to stay strong and be there for them when they need me to be. I wish I could take away the sadness, breakdowns, and fears they face on a daily basis, but I can’t. All I can do is smile, love, and support them to the best of my abilities and keep pushing forward one day at a time.