Opening Day 2016

Opening Day 2016

After preseason, what are Kate's predictions for the NL teams?

13
Opening Day 2016

Well, the most wonderful time of the year has begun. Fans are packing ballparks across the country to experience America’s national pastime in its raw form, buying hot dogs and sporting their rally caps. Baseball is back!

This week, since it's the start of our season, I'm going to give my National League predictions based on their preseason success.

1. Atlanta Braves

The Braves went 6-20six and 20 in the preseason, and are scheduled to start their season on Monday, April 4 at the Nationals. They seemed to have played a lot of their starters during spring training, however, no one was really “hot.” I’m expecting them to have a rough season, but there's hope behind Freddy Freeman.

2. Miami Marlins

Miami came out of spring training with 11 wins and 14 losses. They kick off their season in Detroit on Tuesday. Their leading average is a .383, but the rest of their preseason stats are not that impressive. That being said, I wouldn’t count them out of a decent season, but I also wouldn’t say that there's a high probability of one.

3. New York Mets

The Mets finished their preseason 8-17. They also started the regular season with a losing record after losing to the Royals in a World Series rematch, 4-3. Their stats show potential for a decent season, however, they will need to prove it and do more than stick with the teams that they will face going forward.

4. Philadelphia Phillies

The Phillies actually came out of the grapefruit league with a winning record. They had 15 wins and 11 losses, which could mean the possibility of a decent season. They will have to keep their bats hot in order to win the close games that they weren’t able to win in preseason competition. As a biased Phillies fan, I’m going to say that they’ll have a good year. They play the Reds on Monday for their opening day at home.

5. Washington Nationals

Their record coming out of spring training was 19-4. They'll face the Braves for opening day, so an opening day win is not too far out there for them. I have no doubt that they'll be playoff contenders this season.

6. Chicago Cubs

Despite adding some big names to their roster this past off season, the Cubs came out of spring training with an 11-19 record. I wouldn’t put it past them to have a fantastic season, however, with a bat like Heyward in their lineup. They begin the regular season against the Angels on Monday.

7. Cincinnati Reds

The Reds test themselves against the Phillies on Monday. Their 12-12 record holds them at even in starting the season. Their opening game will most likely be a fun one to watch, as will their season, as it could go either way for them.

8. Milwaukee Brewers

The Brewers left spring training with a .500 average, and they play the Giants on opening day. Just like the Reds, the Brewers’ season is sure to be a fun one to watch, as it could go either way.

9. Pittsburgh Pirates

The Pirates played the Cardinals to start their season on Sunday. Despite their eight and 21 preseason record, they were able to walk away victorious on opening day, winning 4-1. This could be a symbol of their improvement, which could lead to a very fun season to watch.

10. St. Louis Cardinals

They lost to the Pirates on Sunday, even though their record after spring training was superior to that of their opening day opponents. They finished 11-13, but could this loss to the Pirates prove to have them on the brink of a losing streak?

11. Arizona Diamondbacks

Arizona is another National League team that fared well in spring training. They came out of preseason with a 24-8 record, and they open up against the Rockies on Monday. I feel confident in the D-Backs this season.

12. Colorado Rockies

The Rockies came out with a 15-13 record. I think they might have a pretty decent season. Their opening game against the D-Backs will be a test for them, and I think that this particular game will be an eventful one.

13. Los Angeles Dodgers

The Dodgers will play the Padres on Monday to kick things off, and they left spring training 13-17. They will have to use some of their veterans to have a good season this year, and that will undoubtedly make this season extremely enjoyable.

14. San Diego Padres

The Padres went 10-21 in spring training, and will face off against the Dodgers who didn’t do so hot themselves during preseason play. If their bats wake up, they will have a chance at a good season. However, it's not something I'm counting on.

15. San Francisco Giants

The Giants also came out with a 13-17 record, and I'm interested to see how they spend their season, as I see potential in them. They face off against the Brewers on Monday to begin the regular season at home.