An Open Letter to My Long Term Boyfriend

Grateful, thankful, and blessed to have you.

2858

So, we've been together for quite a while now and I must admit I never saw our relationship coming. Before we started dating, I expected to never find my person, but a good prayer goes a long way. When we first started dating, I knew you were something special. We were both so nervous but somehow I found comfort in it. By our third date, I knew there was a future with you. There's so much we've already been through, and hopefully there are many more memories to come.

After the first few dates, I thought I had you figured out... little did I know. The things I have learned about you, the way you are, the way you feel, the way you love, are just a few of the reasons I fell in love with you. How particular you are about your cologne, how passionate you are about fishing for bass, how anal you are about your car being spotless, and especially how much you love sushi, are just a few ways you are unique. Though you have changed a good bit from when we first started our relationship, I still love you if not more than I did in the beginning.

I didn't know your family beyond their names in the beginning, and it did take you a while for to invite me to your house. I soon fell in love with them, as well. After the years, I now feel like they are also my family. Through the many baseball games, beach trips, and girls day with your mom and sister, they hold a special place in my heart. Your family has molded you and shaped you into the person you are today and for that, I am so thankful. Your dad has taught you how to be strong and masculine and your mom has taught you how to be respectful and love with no bounds. Your siblings have caused you to understand even if you fight, you still love. Your family means more to me than they will ever know.

We've had a lot and I mean a lot of up and downs during our relationship. We have fought over everything and anything in the entire world and honestly, I wouldn't change it for anything in the world. Though we do not agree on everything and rarely agree on anything, it makes us who we are. Without us each being so stubborn, we wouldn't realize who the other one is. We wouldn't know and understand so much about each other if we didn't fight. Life gets hard and relationships do too but somehow we have managed. On the plus side, we haven't killed each other yet.

I don't where to begin when it comes to saying "thank you" but I do know you deserve and infinite amount. You have given me more than I could ever deserve and don't even get me started on the mounds of food you've bought for me. You have been my shoulder to cry on many nights and you've taken care of me when I'm on the brink of a complete breakdown. As a college freshmen, I can't even begin to tell you how you've helped me get through most of my first year. The thing that I want to thank you for the most is the way you have changed me. From our relationship, I have changed completely. I have become stronger. You've taught me how to stand up for myself more. You've taught me how to love without worry. You've taught me many things, but most importantly you've taught me how be a better Christian. I am forever grateful for that.

In this life, whether we make it forever or not, I am always grateful for our relationship. You have become my best friend in life. You've seen me at my best and my worst and still love me for the person I am. All in all, through everything, you have been the most selfless and wonderful person. You will drop anything and everything just to make sure I have a smile on my face at all times. Dealing with me for longer than an hour is a task itself. We've spent so much time together and made many memories that will stay with me forever. I pray for you every day and I thank the good Lord above for placing you in my life. I honestly love you more than chips and salsa from my favorite Mexican restaurant.