An Open Letter To My Grandpa

An Open Letter To My Grandpa

"A Child's Eyes Light Up When They See Their Grandpa."

38
An Open Letter To My Grandpa
Cassi Burgin

Dear Grandpa,

This new years eve marks our 15th without you and as I sit here and write this i am forever thankful for all the time we got with you. I have vivid memories of spending endless hours at your house eating 'Grandpa Soup', making sand pies at the table on the deck as I played in the sandbox and ringing the doorbell at my house on Halloween to get candy from you

.Grandma passed away eight years before you and you were left to do so many things alone that you should have done with her. You always did an amazing job playing the roll of both grandparents,that had to be really tough.Thank you for being so strong and for filling two pairs of shoes your own and hers.It means so much to me to have you in all of my memories of Halloween. Thank you for coming over to spend time with us and hand out candy so Mom and Dad could take us out Trick or Treating.I think of you on Halloween every year and how much you enjoyed doing that.

I actually think of you quite often it's not just on Halloween. It's every time I eat Ramen noodles, wear your sweater, eat your Mac and Cheese or listen to my stereo that is hooked up to your speakers.

In our house Ramen noodles are not Ramen noodles they are 'Grandpa Soup' and at 26 years old I still call them that. I will probably always think of you when I make it because it was something I had at your house for lunch every time i was there with you. Oh, and in case you're wondering I still put one ice cube in my bowl.

The speakers I have hooked up to my stereo have lasted through three generations and they are still playing beautifully. They were yours,then my moms and then they were passed to my sister and myself.It makes me happy that they still work and I am so glad that they have been so well taken care of.

I can now make your mac and cheese and not screw it up, although I'm convinced that it's not the same but someday I will get it just right and know that you are smiling down from heaven.

I wish you could have been with my sister and I as we graduated from high school and college but I know you and Grandma were watching proudly from Heaven. If you had been here you would have probably been sitting front and center.

Even though you are gone you are still with me everyday as many of your beautifully wood crafted pieces sit in my childhood home. I remember the few time times I got to watch you work in your shop and how amazed I was at what you could do. My doll houses will always be my favorite thing you have created.That is because they were built for me out of love. Your truly were a master craftsman!

Love,

Kiddy