An Open Letter To My Freshman Year Roommates

Cheers to a great year.

18

Dear Roomies,

The end of freshman year is fast approaching. Soon I will have to say goodbye to you all. You were some of the first friends I made at Harvard. Thank you Lisa, Erica, and Emma for all of the memories we have shared since first meeting each other in August.

Although we somehow ended up being as far away from each other as possible next year (the distance between Dunster and Pfoho is 1.3 miles or a 26 minute walk), hopefully we will cross paths again someday, but only if Lisa becomes diurnal again. Before we say goodbye, I would like to reminisce on a few of our memories thus far in the most non-cheesy manner possible.

To Lisa:

Thank you for going to the Kong so often and making our room smell like Chinese food.

Thank you for being nocturnal and scaring away thieves at 2am.

Thank you for getting toilet paper that one time and bringing back six rolls.

Thank you for devouring 12 bags of candy with me after Halloween.

Thank you for spending three hours with me at Garment District on October 30 trying to find a proper Halloween costume.

Thank you for being the other half of my peanut butter and jelly sandwich at the Halloween dance.

Thank you for appreciating my fun facts about potatoes (they're the most widely consumed vegetable, you know).

Thank you for appreciating Christmas as much as I do.

Thank you for playing Christmas music in October and helping me put up Christmas lights.

Thank you for your piercing alarm that went off at random times throughout the day.

Thank you for forcing me to go to salsa dancing lessons during Opening Days.

Thank you for accepting my Handicorn gift and not thinking I was toooooo weird.

Thank you for being the only 19-year-old I know who uses a Spongebob blanket.

Thank you for being kind, smart, and genuine and becoming a certified EMT so that you can save my life whenever I need you.

To Erica:

Thank you for teaching me everything I need to know about Judaism.

Thank you for watching (half of) that random movie about the Black Plague with me at the beginning of the year.

Thank you for having a normal sleep schedule and not waking me up at 2am.

Thank you for sharing your delicious baked goods from home.

Thank you for letting me experience Rainbow Bagels.

Thank you for getting Insomnia Cookies with me at midnight.

Thank you for buying me a selfie stick and miniature walkie-talkies.

Thank you for buying a vacuum.

Thank you for doing Zumba with me at 7am.

Thank you for allowing Lisa and I to blast Christmas music for two months and showing me what Hanukkah music is.

Thank you for your wonderfully color-coded chart of the amino acids on the wall beside your bed.

Thank you for always taking selfies with me.

Thank you for going to my first party with me and making sure I survived.

Thank you for being creative, passionate, and outspoken and never being afraid to follow your dreams.

To Emma:

Thank you for all of the teal objects that you brought to our room.

Thank you for the infamous teal curtain.

Thank you for buying really comfy (teal) chairs.

Thank you for dancing with me the first time I used my selfie stick.

Thank you for being strong enough to change the water tank on the bubbler.

Thank you for your obsession with Nutella.

Thank you for always encouraging us to keep the bathroom clean even though we never did.

Thank you for always letting me blast music in the common room even though it distracted you (sorry).

Thank you for being proud of me after I went for a run that one time.

Thank you for your really cool leggings (I really wish I had a pair).

Thank you for taking really fast showers.

Thank you for climbing on furniture, trying to find that pesky mouse.

Thank you for somehow convincing me to go to Insomnia late at night to buy you a chocolate chip cookie (???).

Thank you for being dedicated, strong, and ambitious and somehow balancing being a really smart student and an amazing rower.

To Lisa, Erica, and Emma: Thank you for an amazing year, guys. I will miss each of you next year, but hopefully we'll get together soon to go on that pizza date we were promised *winky face*

Love,
Sarah