An Open Letter To My Future Child

An Open Letter To My Future Child

You're gonna be pretty amazing. I just know it.

17169
An Open Letter To My Future Child
Hey McKi

My future child,

Hey, sweet baby. I’m writing this at a point in my life where we haven’t met yet, but that doesn’t mean I haven’t thought about you already. In fact, I think about you a lot. I can’t wait for the day we meet because I know God will bless me with the greatest gift a human could ever receive: you.

I keep imagining that beautiful moment in time where you'll come into the world. You’ll leave an everlasting glow in my heart, and I know that I’ll be eternally happy no matter what conflicts may arise in my life. Although it's nice to dream, I know that what I’m imagining now won’t compare to what it’ll actually feel like when you're here.

I can’t wait for all the milestones like the day you begin taking your first steps or say your first word. When I see you ride your bike without training wheels or get your driver's license. Your first heart break and your first love. The day you begin kindergarten, middle school, high school, and college. The day you leave home and begin living by yourself. The day you marry your husband or wife and the day you have a sweet child of your own.

I can’t wait to tell you old stories of your grandpa and grandma, the day I met your father, the way the world was when I was your age, and so much more.

Actually, I can wait for all of those things because before you know it those days will come...and go. They’re all going to happen within the blink of an eye, and I know time will only continue to go faster and faster. I can only hope and pray that I enjoy all those moments, soak them in as best as I can, and hold onto them tightly.

Also, I want you to know that I am so proud of you. Your successes and your failures. Your doubts, hopes, dreams, fears, strengths. Everything. I am so extremely proud of you. Wherever you are in life, even your darkest hour, I’m always going to be proud of you no matter what because you’re my kid. Even when you think you’ve hit rock bottom, or your hope for the future is growing dim, I’m always going to be proud of you because I know how strong you are. The day you overcome your biggest obstacles in life, I’ll be there smiling every step of the way watching you grow. And not only will I be proud of you, but I’ll be proud of myself because I know that I did a good job raising you to be strong enough to fight those battles.

On that note, I want you to know that I’m going to try my best to raise you into the best man or woman you could possibly be, and give you everything I can to help you get to that point. I would give you the world if I could, but know there will be times when I can’t give you everything you want. I’m going to try my best though.

Also, I know that I’m going to be the worst worry-wart in the history of worry-warts. All my stresses, fears, and anxieties are going to increase dramatically because of you. But don’t think for a second that it’s a bad thing, it’s because I care about you more than you know. I want to protect you every second of everyday. I want to know that you’re safe always, and, although this world is magnificent in so many ways, it can be a scary place too. I realize, now, that it’s impossible to protect you from the harsh bitterness of it all, but please forgive me for trying. Please understand that I do it out of love.

With that being said, wherever you are in this beautiful world reading this, I want you to know right now that I love you more than words can say. I love you so much it hurts. No matter what’s happening in your life or mine, whether you’re in a period of terrible pain or everlasting joy, I love you with all my heart. From the moment you arrive, to the moment of my final breath and beyond, I'm always going to love you.

So until then, I can't wait to meet you someday, sweet baby. I'll keep thinking about you like I already am.

Love,

Your Mom