An Open Letter To Anyone Who Thinks They Are Being Left Behind

"Knowing how to laugh at yourself instead of blaming for your own weaknesses will make you happier. No one’s perfect after all." -Mickey Mouse

1570
Tumblr

Hi,

We don't know each other very well, in fact, we might actually be complete strangers. I decided to write this because I have just recently had an epiphany and I feel that it is necessary to share what I have learned with everyone and anyone whom will read this. At one point or another, we all feel stuck, weighed down, or just unhappy. We have this- what we think is an irrational fear, that life is moving on without us, leaving us behind in the process of progression. We are at that age where nothing is certain, we are heading toward a future that we know nothing about, so it's completely normal to feel adrift at this point in your life. You are seeing your friends and peers are moving forward while you are left feeling stagnant. I am here to assure you that those people that you are seeing moving on to bigger and better things they were in the exact place you are at one point in their lives.

We are living in a time where we want the quickest fix to our problems, we don't want to wait days, weeks or heaven forbid months to see results. Sadly, no amount of pinteresting inspirational quotes, or watch endless Ted talks about motivation and inspiration will spark a change, and I say this from experience. One of the most important life lessons that I have taught myself is that the only person that can inspire you is yourself. You have the power within you to change, but you have to want it. You can't do it just because a quote on pinterested told you because then you wouldn't be doing it for yourself .

Secondly, the moment that you accept that we are all human beings, and not machines your life will be so much easier. It's not possible to find motivation out of nothing, if you don't have it, then you just don't have it. We as people cannot be going constantly 24 hours a day 7 days a week. There will be days when you'll hit a wall and you can't muster up the energy to get out of bed. Life is constantly throwing you curve balls and sometimes you will handle them better than others. It doesn't make you lesser of a person if you crumble under the pressure- it makes you human.

Lastly, and maybe most importantly, there are things that are just simply out of our control. You could wake up at the crack of dawn every day until you can't function. You can sit down and commit hours to a project and still get nothing done. If you haven't foud "the one" maybe it's because there is a part of yourself that you don't even know about yet. All I can say is, if it's not the right to for something, it's just not the right time, then there isn't much you can do about it. The more you try to force yourself into something else or force something out of you the less motivated and inspired you will become. We are in the habit of trying to manipulate our lives into something that it isn't, there is no shortcut to being successful. Every person's journey is different so don't think because you are taking longer, or haven't taken the same steps doesn't mean that you're living your life the wrong way.

My advice to you is, if you are feeling left behind don't wait for someone else to pick you up, only you can pick yourself up. Take a step back and evaluate what needs to change, rather than have a panic attack, go back to bed and watch Friends on Netflix all day. There is no real "normal life" each person is on a different path than you are that is specific to their own hopes and dreams so you have to figure out wich path is best for you.

Good luck,

Kelsey