11 Things that I Need to Hear Right Now, and I'm Sure You Do Too

Remember what truly makes you passionate

12719
tumblr

Here's the thing. I can't come up with a wishy-washy listicle to write about every week. I'm a girl in college. I'm thinking of a million other things. I'm thinking of what my career path is going to be when I graduate, what's due in my media class next week, and when I'm supposed to go into work tomorrow. It all becomes a little much sometimes. So, writing has become an outlet for me. But recently, it hasn't served its purpose. I'm supposed to write to you all about something that will get shares. I can't do that anymore, it's so unreal. So fake. So, what I will do instead, is tell you all some things I'm sure you could use hearing at the moment. If you read this and find a sense of relief in the busy life you're living, then my writing actually means more than just shares.

1. Everything in life is temporary, even our troubles.

What is stressing you right now, at this very moment? A test? Summer internships? Classes in your major that seem to be kicking your ass? Whatever it is, it's not forever. Isn't that cool? It'll be over with soon. Then pretty soon you'll be stressing over something else. Stressors come and go constantly throughout life, so why spend time worrying about it when it won't cross your mind a year from now?

2. There are plenty of other people who also have no clue what they're doing with their life.

Don't ask me what I'm doing this summer, I don't know. Don't ask me what I'm planning for after graduation. Don't even ask me how my classes are going right now, because I don't know that either. How can I know what path I'll be headed down a year from now, if nothing went planned as I thought it would a year ago? Props to the kids who have their shit figured out. I'm going to keep using my strategy of rolling with the punches.

3. I didn't picture my life this way a year ago, so I need to stop picturing it a year from now.

I spend so much time trying to plan out how my life will turn out. Pondering how well I will do in school, where I will be in my career path, and how my life will turn out in general. Nothing I have pictured so far has happened. Not in a bad way either, but never how I pictured it to. Why get anxious for the future when you have absolutely no control over it?

4. Playing out scenarios in your mind doesn't make them actually happen.

You can play out scenarios in your head all day. You can daydream about your dream job all day long, but until you pursue it, it will stay a scenario. While I say that none of the scenarios I've pictured have turned out the way I pictured, they also would have never happened if I did nothing about them. For example, when I knew I wanted to write for the Odyssey, I pictured myself getting hundreds of shares. And now, I'm writing an article that will only get a few shares, but as long as it has helped someone, that's all I care about.

5. You need to take care of yourself.

I don't mean the physical part. Sure, that's very important to do as well, but I mean taking care of your mind. Find your roots, find the hobby that keeps you a little less insane and do it every day. Find time to take for yourself, time to ground you and remember what you are truly passionate about. Life makes us worry too much about what will make us money, or what will offer us security. We need to take more time to spend on what makes us truly happy.

6. Quit worrying about the way you look, and start worrying about the way you act.

In a society that's obsessed with body image, what style of makeup is trending, or what is categorized as attractive for a month, it's important to remember that looks fade. Looks fade, but your personality is forever. Have you ever been introduced to someone, immediately been intrigued by their looks, and then wanted to run for the hills 5 minutes into the conversation? Yup. Happens to everyone. Looks can grab attention, but they can't keep it. Instead of worrying about contouring your face before you leave the house, think about what steps you can take towards a better you.

7. Time alone is always healthy.

Eat alone. Drink coffee alone. Take time to be by yourself, and not defined by someone else.

8. It could always be worse.

Think on how much you take for granted. When we spend our day just going through the motions, it's easy to forget how much you have. It then becomes easy to get hung up on something minor happening to us and forgetting how fortunate we are.

9. "If it's good, it's wonderful. If it's bad, it's experience."

One of my favorite quotes from my favorite band, Mumford and Sons. It's easy to settle into our comfort zones, but taking chances is when the magic happens. Failure will always happen from time to time, but we have to find the lesson in our failure. Know that there is never a loss in trying, but leverage towards success next time.

10. There will always be people who you can love and love and love no matter what they do to you.

I know each and every one of you reading this has a special person in their life that they have a soft spot for. Know what you deserve, and know that it's not this person, no matter how badly you want them. People's actions really do speak a thousand words. Reserve spots in your life for people who have earned them, not the ones who have come and gone.

11. If you feel like you've lost your touch, you can always get it back.

Your hobby recently has been boring you, you feel like you're in a rut, or you're not even sure what you're passionate about now? Don't sweat it. I spent a long time dreading what I would be able to write about this week, and then ditched every idea I had to write this. My advice is to remember what truly makes you passionate, about your passion.