#ONEFORTHELAND: What I Leaned From The Cavaliers' Historic Championship

What to take from one of sport's most memorable championship.

13
nba.com

The 2015-16 NBA season has concluded with one of sport's most memorable ending: The ending of the Curse. No matter how the NBA will look like in the next 5, 10 or even 20 years, we will look back at this season as one of the best basketball has to offer. The 73-winning streak, Lebron chase down block, Draymond's kick heard all around the world and Chef Curry's shooting barrage: we have seen it all. In the end, the Cleveland Cavaliers finish on top and here what I have learned from their happy ending.

1. The underdogs always have their day

52 years. That is how long the city of Cleveland has to wait for a sport championship. So many times people has laugh at Cleveland because they have tried so many times and they have failed so many time. Look at how Lebron, perhaps the most emotionally mature players in the NBA, busted into tears right after Game 7 ended. Sport is full of David and Goliath and we all know, Goliath does not always win.

2. The only person to blame is yourself

Only 9 teams in NBA history has ever comeback from a 3-1 deficit. The 2016 NBA champions become the 10th. Who make that possible? The 73-win Golden State Warriors.

Sorry, Warriors' fan.

However, if we look at this NBA season as a whole, we will find just how shockingly the Warriors let themselves down. They break the barriers of 72-10; start the season with 24 games winning streak, never lost 2 consecutive games in the regular season, comeback from a 3-1 deficit (yep, they were 9th team to do it). Lead 3-1 in the finals.

And they lost. Somehow as I am writing this article, I still do not understand how the Warriors can let go of their fifth title, just like that.

In sport (and in life, too) if you waste your opportunity, you have no one to blame but yourself. The Warrior learn the lesson, but perhaps for too big of a cost.

3. Always takes one step at a time

What did the Cavaliers do when they are 3-1 down? They treat every game left as a game 7.

I choose this picture specifically for this point because when you are against the odd, the only right way is to stand up (both literally and metaphorically) and redo.

Personally, I did not believe the Cavaliers will win it. Simply because the odd is to tremendous. However, the Cavaliers shows me, perhaps to many people, too, that life will not save you from adversity. Only you can save yourself.

Lebron and his squad did redo. If you pay attention to game 5 and 6, you will see the Cavaliers win not because they are lucky but because they know they need to be focus and win each game, not the series.

4. It is not about how people think who you are but how you think who you are.

Lebron. Lebron. Lebron

I know it is hard to talk about the 2016 NBA Finals without mentioning the King himself. Frankly saying, it is.

Lebron is not a good player nor great player, but a player who know himself.

When I hear the fact Lebron is the only player (maybe for forever) to have his high school (I repeat, HIGH SCHOOL) game televised, I realize how much expectation this man have faced.

When a person get too much expectation, it is easy for them to care too much about how people think of them. Lebron did not.

He knows who he is: the best basketball player in the world. And he delivered.

Stephen Curry might be the MVP, but Lebron James shows the world he is the King.

5. Sport is at its best when it unites people.

Boston wins 17, Los Angeles win 16.

Cleveland wins its first and the whole city goes wild.

Source: @cavs

I do not think I have to say more about this picture. Simply amazing.