things you''ll see while commuting in new york
Travel

10 Things You'll Probably Notice While Commuting In New York

Commuting may seem like an intimidating activity, but with a little practice, anyone can be a New Yorker.

187
manhattan, nyc, new york city, city, urban, buildings, skyscrapers

There's no better way to become acquainted with New York than to commute to work every day. Though most people spend their commutes power-walking to their next destination or looking down at their phones, the daily commute to and from my internship has also featured many entertaining public occurrences. Depending on how tired I am, I'm usually either amused or slightly annoyed by the oh-so-New York behavior of those around me, but I also now feel more at home in the city than ever before. One thing to note about commuters in New York is that when they're moving and exhibiting any of the following traits, they're on a mission.

1. Loud, public arguments about nothing

thatschurch.com

The other morning while heading to work, I overheard what I think was an argument between two women that began on the subway ride and continued until we had exited the train in Brooklyn, 15 minutes later. I overheard the entire thing, and I still have no idea what they were talking about. I wish they had been a bit more courteous and not blessed the entire train with their confusingly loud babble, but at least it prevented me from falling asleep and missing my stop.

2. People standing on the subway even when the car is mostly empty

i0.wp.com

For the life of me, I can never understand the people who step onto a subway car in which almost every seat is free, and still choose to cling to a pole and stand. I think these people might be subconsciously asserting their "New York-ness" by proving that they can remain standing even through the most turbulent of subway rides, though even these strong-willed folks still stumble whenever the car starts moving. Still, if a person stands in an empty subway car but no one is around to see it, did they really stand?

3. Instinctively referring to Manhattan as "The City" even though NYC has four other boroughs

newyorksmash.com

For those people not from New York, the actual geography of New York City and its five boroughs can be a bit confusing. I totally understand if people from other states don't fully grasp that Manhattan is only one of five boroughs that encompass the greater New York City area, but I also find it funny that even New Yorkers pretty much only think of Manhattan when they refer to NYC. It's understandable though, because no one wants to think of the Staten Island Dump when they paint a mental picture of New York City.

4. Crossing the street whenever you want, but especially when it's a little risky

1.media.collegehumor.cvcdn.com

New Yorkers are notorious for jaywalking in all situations, no matter how close they come to running into a car. Perhaps we're just less fearful of cars in general, or maybe we're just very silly. I do find that this bad habit creeps into how I approach crosswalks outside of New York, and on several occasions my friends have gasped at my reckless street-crossing tendencies. My philosophy is, if other people are crossing the street at the same time as you, regardless of whether you're actually supposed to cross at that time, you'll probably make it. And so the statewide rebellion against stoplights continues.

5. Rolling your eyes at people who actually hug the characters in Times Square

img.buzzfeed.com

Maybe this seems like a fun activity when you're a little kid, to hug the Mickey Mouse and Superman that creep up next to you in Times Square. Now though, I find absolutely no allure in these slightly-too-aggressive Times Square characters. It may seem like a classic tourist thing to do, but it could also be a recipe for getting mugged. I hate to say it, but sometimes it's safer to be a bit cynical and assume that you could be mugged at any time, especially when you're hugging a forty-year-old man inside an Elmo costume.

6. On that note, actively avoiding walking through Times Square unless you're a tourist

www.localike-newyork.com

This is an especially harrowing activity if a show is just about to start or has just gotten out. I can't even count how many times I've gotten swallowed up by crowds in Times Square and nearly missed my train home because the foot traffic was moving so slowly. If you're not in a rush, then absolutely take a stroll through Times Square and take in the sights. But if you have anywhere to be in the remotely near future, walk along 8th or 6th Avenue instead of 7th.

7. Swimming upstream as you walk against the herd of people storming through Penn Station

I saw a meme recently that made fun of this exact instance, and it was honestly one of the most relatable things I've seen on the internet in a while. While commuting every morning, I've noticed that there's a constant stream of people barreling towards the 1,2 and 3 subway trains that all seem to be walking about 20 miles per hour. Meanwhile, I'm trying to wrestle my way through the crowd in the exact opposite direction, towards the A, C, and E trains. I'm sure people have been annoyed by my conflicting walking patterns, but they'll just have to get over it because there is absolutely no other way for me to get to the subway than to fight my way through this herd of wildebeests, er, I mean commuters.

8. Not appreciating how pretty the bridges are until you're right next to them

uniformlydressed.files.wordpress.com

Until I started working right next to the Brooklyn Bridge, I have only ever experienced New York's many bridges while stuck in traffic in the passenger seat of a car. The bridges in the Tri-State area certainly don't feel glamorous when you've been traveling for six hours and you're dreading the New York leg of the trip, which is always the worst part. However, staring up at the Brooklyn and Manhattan bridges every day while I eat my lunch is truly a majestic sight. The bridges really are quite beautiful and aesthetically appealing when you're not driving over them.

9. Aggressively ignoring the signs and leaning on train car doors

i.imgur.com

I understand that when the subway is crowded, sometimes you have no choice but to stand right next to the subway car door and lean a little of your body weight on it, to make room for the other people in a car. However, people do seem to have a lot of trust in the strength of those doors. Every time I ride the subway, I see fully grown men leaning their entire body weight on the subway car doors between stops, even though there is a sign on the door explicitly saying not to do that. Perhaps it just makes them feel cool and rebellious, to know that they're ignoring a sign that is right in front of them. I for one have never felt this urge while on a rattling subway. I save my rebellion for when I inevitably jaywalk later in the day.

10. Strutting around confidently knowing there's a coffee shop on every corner

media.giphy.com

Though New Yorkers tend to appear confident in most situations, there's not a sight more confident than a New Yorker heading out for coffee who knows they'll stumble upon a coffee shop within five minutes. And it's not just Starbucks that pops up around every corner in New York. From other coffee chains, to neighborhood bakeries, to hole-in-the-wall coffee shops, New York is a coffee drinker's dream. I actually don't like coffee, funnily enough, but I always say that when there's coffee, tea can't be too far behind.

If you're commuting within NYC or happen to be walking around during rush hour, you'll notice New Yorkers exhibiting many of the previous behaviors, all while walking at breakneck speed. Despite these traits, I genuinely believe that though New Yorkers are stereotyped as unfriendly, any New Yorker would willingly take a minute out of their commute to give someone directions or chime in with restaurant recommendations. Commuting may seem like an intimidating activity if you're not from the area, but New York is made up of so many different kinds of people that with a little practice, I think anyone can be a New Yorker.