A Team-by-Team look at the 2021 NFL Playoffs

What each team has to do to give themselves the best opportunity to win, and what they have to do in order to not beat themselves on the trek to Super Bowl LV in Tampa.

450
Colin E Braley/AP/Shutterstock

The 2020 NFL Season has been a year unlike any other, managing opt-outs, COVID-19 cases and game postponements. These 14 teams made the necessary adjustments required to succeed, and some of them knew they would be here before the first game of the season.

The NFL Playoffs used to consist of 12 teams, but this season, one team from each conference was added, bringing the total up to 14. Teams have been seeded 1-7 in the AFC and NFC, with the number one seed in each conference receiving a first-round bye.

AFC

#1 - Kansas City Chiefs (First Round - Bye)

The defending Super Bowl Champions are back, and currently sit as the favorites to repeat with the best record in the NFL at 14-2. Led by one of the best QBs in the NFL, Patrick Mahomes. Critics find it hard to look at this team and think that someone is going to stop their electric offense, averaging the most offensive yards per game, and the sixth most points in the NFL. On the defensive side, the Chiefs have been above average, allowing the 11th least points, along with the T-5th most interceptions at 16. But, every team has flaws, and the Chiefs have things they will need to correct in order to win the Lombardi Trophy.

What the Chiefs need to correct

Patrick Mahomes is a candidate for the 2020 NFL MVP, but he has been far from perfect. Mahomes leads the NFL in most interceptions dropped with 16, looking careless when throwing the ball from time-to-time. This could be a lack of focus during the regular season that he plans to correct in the postseason, nonetheless, this is something to watch for in the 2021 playoffs.

The Chiefs rank as the fourth most penalized team in the league, accumulating 105 penalties during the season. Looking back at the 2019 AFC Championship game, it was an offsides penalty that cost them the game and a chance to play in the Super Bowl. Expect Kansas City Head Coach Andy Reid to put an emphasis on correcting these careless mistakes.

Kansas City's Kicker Harrison Butker ranks 28th in the percentage of extra points made this season, missing six of them. Butker is typically viewed as an extremely reliable placekicker, but a missed extra point could be the difference in winning or losing.

What do the Chiefs need to do to give themselves the best chance to win Super Bowl LV

This answer is pretty simple: Be the Kansas City Chiefs. The Chiefs have continued to look dominant for most of the year and the majority of teams will have to play a perfect game to have a chance to beat this team. Expect to see Kansas City in the Super Bowl again.

#2 - Buffalo Bills (First Round vs #7 Indianapolis)

The Bills won their first AFC East title since 1995, and they looked fantastic doing it. QB Josh Allen in his third season led this team to a 13-3 record with some assistance from WR Stefon Diggs, leading the NFL in receiving yards. The Buffalo Bills are no longer a team to sleep on, they have a real shot to win the AFC this season. The Bills finished tied for second in yards and second in points , proving this offense knows how to light up the scoreboard. Defensively, The Bills rank 14th in yards allowed, placing them in the middle of the pack. The Bills closed the season on a six game winning streak, making them one of the hottest teams heading into the postseason.

What the Bills need to correct

The Bills have given away the third most turnovers and are tied for most fumbles lost out of the teams in the playoffs. It goes without saying that turnovers lose games, especially on the biggest stage. Buffalo turned the ball over six times in their three losses, and now face a team on Saturday that has the second best turnover differential in the NFL.

Buffalo ranks in the bottom half of the league in rushing yards, leading to a reliance on the passing attack. Their passing attack has proven to be lethal this season, but in order to keep the defense from focusing solely on the pass, they will need to establish a ground game.

What the Bills need to do to give themselves the best chance to win Super Bowl LV

Buffalo needs to surpass 125 yards rushing in each game and Josh Allen needs to play at an elite level. Keeping the opposing defense honest by running the ball opens up many chances for Josh Allen to pick apart coverages down the field.

Hold the opposition to 25 or less points. Buffalo is 9-0 this season when holding the opponent below this mark. The Bills defense has been steadily improving over the course of the year, and has played a major role in this six game winning streak and securing the #2 seed. Expect this to continue this weekend.

#3 - Pittsburgh Steelers (First Round vs. #6 Cleveland)

The Steelers have been one of the most interesting teams to keep an eye on this year, starting off the year 11-0 and finishing 1-4 in their final five games. Pittsburgh's defense has been carrying the team all season long, and is hoping that the phrase "Defense wins Championships" still holds true today. Finishing third in total yards allowed and total points allowed while forcing the second most turnovers in the league, this is not a defense to take risks against.

The offense is another story. Finishing last in the league with less than 85 rushing yards per game and 25th in total yards, the offense has not been pretty. Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger had the third most passing attempts in the NFL as the Steelers were never able to run the ball this season. Closing the season on a cold streak, the Steelers could be in for an early exit.

What the Steelers need to correct

Take the weight off of Ben Roethlisberger. Pittsburgh has to be able to run the football in order to succeed in the postseason, and Roethlisberger cannot be expected to drop back and throw the ball 40+ times and find success. If the Steelers cannot manage to at least get 100 rushing yards, they won't last long in the postseason.

What the Steelers need to do give themselves the best chance to win Super Bowl LV

Score at least 28 points. If the offense can manage to reach that, their defense should be able to hold most teams under this number.

Win the turnover margin by at least 2 per game. This defense has proven they can force turnovers, and if the offense can limit their own turnovers, this Steelers team should find success.

#4 - Tennessee Titans (First Round vs #5 Baltimore)

Derrick Henry became the 8th player in NFL history to rush for over 2000 yards in a season. He also finished 1st in rushing touchdowns and rushes of 20+ yards. The Titans as a whole finished second in rushing behind only Baltimore, and fourth in points per game. Tennessee finished in the bottom half of the league in passing yards, but still managed to finish third in total yards, thanks to Derrick Henry. Ryan Tannehill has proven he can be the quarterback of a contending team, leading the Titans to the AFC title game last season. The Titans defense has been above average, finishing 28th in total yards allowed but finished 9th in points allowed and had the best turnover differential in the league. This Tennessee team has been on the right side of most statistical measurements.

What the Titans need to correct

The Titans cannot continue to count on turnovers to escape defensive possessions. When playing elite teams, they typically do not make as many mistakes as most teams in the regular season. Tennessee is going to need to force teams into punting situations in order to make it out of the AFC.

Tennessee may find themselves in situations where a more balanced offense is required, this is not necessarily something to correct but more of something to be prepared for. Tennessee has proven they can pass the ball when it is necessary, and they will have to do this.

What the Titans need to do to give themselves the best chance to win Super Bowl LV

Use a balanced offense to get their talented skill players the best opportunity to succeed. Derrick Henry and AJ Brown have proven themselves to be two of the most talented offensive players in the league today. Getting these players the ball in the open field will lead the Titans to success.

If the Titans defense can stop teams prior to the red-zone, there's no reason to believe this Titans team can't compete for a Super Bowl.

#5 - Baltimore Ravens (First Round vs #4 Tennessee)

Led by 2019 MVP Lamar Jackson, the Ravens have taken a step back from last year. NFL Defenses have seemingly managed to figure out how to slow down the Ravens rushing attack. Baltimore has fallen from being the #1 seed last year to the top wild card team. They are still the top rushing team in the NFL, also coming in at #7 in points per game. However, this is not a balanced offense. The Ravens are last in passing yards, showing that Lamar Jackson has not made the adjustments necessary to become a quality passer. A team this one-dimensional in the modern-day NFL is going to struggle to have success in the postseason.

Baltimore's Defense has been solid, ranking in the top ten in total yards allowed and second in points allowed. This defense is another one to not mess with, allowing less than 20 points per game. Baltimore likes to play in low scoring games and dominating the time of possession. This is not a team built to win high scoring shootouts.

What the Ravens need to correct

Baltimore has to build some form of a passing attack in order to expect to compete with high powered offenses such as Buffalo, Kansas City and Tennessee. Lamar Jackson will need to throw for 225+ yards in order to beat this Tennessee team, and they'd probably have to run for 200 yards as well.

These two teams met in the regular season and Baltimore did well against Derrick Henry, holding him to 133 yards and one touchdown, which came in overtime. However, Henry still averaged 4.8 yards per carry. The Ravens will have to hold him to 3.5 YPC or less in order to truly neutralize the Tennessee ground attack.

What the Ravens need to do to give themselves a chance to win Super Bowl LV

Get creative. Baltimore is going to have to mix in a decent amount of trickery, whatever that may be, into the game plan to keep the opposing defense guessing.

Lamar Jackson, Gus Edwards, and JK Dobbins all rank in the top 5 for 20+ yard runs, and Baltimore will need big plays to be successful against some of the best defenses in the league.

Baltimore has to win the turnover battle. Last season, the Ravens lost to the Titans in the AFC Divisional round 28-12, a game where the Ravens had 230 more yards, but turned the ball over three times. They need to flip that narrative in order win this year.

#6 - Cleveland (First Round vs #3 Pittsburgh)

Welcome back to the playoffs Browns fans! Cleveland has not made the playoffs since 2002, breaking the longest active postseason drought in the NFL. Cleveland's offense ranks third in rushing yards, and rank in the middle-third in passing yards, led by QB Baker Mayfield and a scary RB duo of Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt. The Browns finished 14th in points, and 16th in point differential, giving them a negative point differential, the only playoff team to have this. The defense is led by D-Lineman Myles Garrett, who finished sixth in sacks with twelve. The Browns allowed the ninth least rush yards, but finished in the bottom half of the league when it comes to defending the pass.

What the Browns need to correct

The Browns average 3.9 points per game in the first quarter, getting off to a slow start during the regular season. Cleveland needs to get off to a much better start against Pittsburgh, the same team that beat them the last time they were here in 2002.

Cleveland allows the second most points out of all playoff teams at 26.2 points per game. Expect the Browns defense, who forced the third most fumbles this season, to step up this postseason.

What the Browns need to do to give themselves a chance to win Super Bowl LV

This would be a storyline that warms every football fan's heart. The Browns, who have gone 0-16 more recently than playing in a playoff game, winning a Super Bowl.

The Browns will need to rely on their star RBs, who both rank in the top 15 in rushing yards and top 25 in rushing touchdowns among running backs. Kareem Hunt is typically seen during passing downs, but expect Cleveland to hand him the ball more than usual.

Baker Mayfield will need to play the best football he has played since entering the NFL. Making his playoff debut this weekend, expect him to shine under the bright lights.

#7 - Indianapolis Colts (First Round vs. #2 Buffalo)

The Colts clinched a playoff berth in Week 17 thanks to their win over the tanking Jaguars and the Dolphins loss to the Bills team they face this weekend. Indianapolis ranks in the top 11 in points, passing yards and rushing yards, making them one of the most balanced teams in the NFL. Led by QB Philip Rivers, rookie RB Jonathan Taylor and a WR core that was unproven heading into this season, this group has grown together to an 11-5 record.

The Indianapolis defense is much better defending the run, ranking 2nd in rush yards allowed. This is not a good combination when facing Buffalo's elite passing attack. The Colts rank 20h in defending the pass, but within the top 15 in total yards allowed.

What the Colts need to correct

Indianapolis has to find a way to defend Josh Allen and this electric offense. They will need to hold the Bills to less than 210 passing yards to have an opportunity to win, which is over 75 yards less than the Bills average.

The Colts rank in the bottom half of the league in points scored in the 4th quarter. If the Colts are hoping to keep this game close, they will need to be able to score late.

What the Colts need to do to give themselves a chance to win Super Bowl LV

Trust Jonathan Taylor. The rookie running back closed the season by rushing for 253 yards and two touchdowns, and he is showing no signs of letting up. The Colts will need him to be just as good in order to make a run deep into the postseason.

Make T.Y. Hilton a big part of the offense. The veteran WR has shown this year that he is still the player he always has been, and Philip Rivers needs to trust Hilton to help them go from last team in to last team standing.

NFC

#1 - Green Bay Packers (First Round - Bye)

This year's NFL MVP is Aaron Rodgers, and there is no debate. Rodgers has led this Packers team to a 13-3 record and they have not lost since the first of November. Green Bay ranks 5th in total yards, and within the top ten in passing and rushing yards. This offense also sits at the top in points scored. There is no question about how elite this offense is, with Davante Adams and Aaron Jones at impact positions where they exceed all expectations.

The Packers defense ranks in the top 13 in rushing yards allowed, passing yards allowed, total yards allowed, and points allowed. Green Bay ranks 7th in turnover differential and have turned the ball over the least amount of times this season. There is absolutely no reason to believe that this Green Bay team can't win the Super Bowl.

What the Packers need to correct

Green Bay has struggled to force turnovers this season, ranking 26th in turnovers forced. If Green Bay finds themselves in a close contest, they could need their defense to force a turnover.

Green Bay ranks second to last in Kickoff yards per return, averaging below 19 yards on each return. It may be in Green Bay's best interest to take a touchback on every possession.

What the Packers need to do to give themselves a chance to win Super Bowl LV

Continue to play Green Bay football. The Packers have dominated teams for the last two months and if they can continue this, there may not be anyone in football that can stop them. Expect Aaron Rodgers to play some of the best football he ever has, and the Green Bay defense to continue slowing down offenses.

#2 - New Orleans Saints (First Round vs #7 Chicago)

Drew Brees has led the Saints to another high seed in the NFC. Brees missed part of the season due to multiple broken ribs but backup QB and jack-of-all-trades player Taysom Hill stepped in and kept the Saints on the road to greatness. RB Alvin Kamara tied the NFL record for rushing touchdowns in a game. The Saints offense finished 19th in passing yards and 6th in rushing yards, but finished 5th in points. This Saints team is not nearly as aggressive as in the past, but this has worked for them.

The New Orleans' defense finished in the top 5 in total yards allowed, points allowed, passing yards allowed and rushing yards allowed. The defense has been the backbone of the team, and will need to continue its' dominance for the Saints to compete with teams like Green Bay.

What the Saints need to correct

It is no secret that Drew Brees has not looked his best this year, and the team passing numbers reflect it. Brees will need to give everything he has left in the tank to give the Saints a real chance to continue their season.

The Saints have been penalized a lot this season, ranking top ten in total penalties and #2 in total penalty yards. The Saints have committed the most defensive pass interference penalties in the NFL with 19. This is something to watch for as the Saints have been on the wrong side of close playoff games in recent history.

What the Saints need to do to give themselves a chance to win Super Bowl LV

The Saints will need a big resurgence from WR Michael Thomas this postseason. He will be coming off the IR to return to practice this week, and the Saints WRs have not been able to perform up to par in his absence. Expect Brees to look his way a ton throughout the playoffs.

The Saints defense needs to hold every opponent to below their scoring average. This is not a Saints offense built to win shootout, although I would never bet against Drew Brees.

#3 Seattle Seahawks (First Round vs #6 Los Angeles)

Russell Wilson was at one point believed to be the frontrunner for MVP, but that has since faded as Wilson lost his hot hand. The Seahawks finished middle of the pack in total yards but managed to squeeze into the top 8 in points. The offense has a lot of stars, led by the outstanding receiver DK Metcalf, but has not been able to to pull everything together as a whole. The Seattle defense has been steadily improving throughout the season, ranking first in points per game allowed since week ten. On the season, Seattle ranks in the top 5 in stopping the run.

What the Seahawks need to correct

Seattle has to find a way to gain more offensive rhythm in order to defeat teams such as New Orleans and Green Bay. If Russell Wilson can find his groove, it spells trouble for opposing defenses. Expect to see Seattle attempt to get the passing attack going early.

Seattle allows the 5th most points in the fourth quarter, which could lead to a game-winning drive for the opposing team. Seattle needs to be able to get a stop when it matters most.

What the Seahawks need to do to give themselves a chance to win Super Bowl LV

Russell Wilson needs to return to the MVP level he opened the season at. Wilson has proven that he can lead a team to the Super Bowl, so there is no reason to think he can't do it again, especially with the weapons he has around him.

The Seattle defense needs to continue playing at the level it has since week 10. Led by star safety Jamal Adams, the defense will determine how far this team makes it.

#4 Washington Football Team (First Round vs #5 Tampa Bay)

The NFC East was required to have a team in the playoffs, and Washington was the best team in that division by far. At 7-9, their record does not do this team justice. The Washington Defense ranks second in total yards allowed and second in passing yards allowed. The defense also ranks fourth in points allowed. The offense is made up of the Comeback Player of the Year at QB, Alex Smith. With young talent at skill positions in Terry McLaurin and Antonio Gibson, the offense has a lot of potential on any given day.

What the Football Team needs to correct

Washington has a -4 turnover differential, and they cannot expect to win losing the turnover battle. The defense will need to force turnovers against Tampa Bay for them to have an opportunity to win this weekend.

Washington will have to create offense, as they rank #30 in total yards and in the bottom third of the league in points. Washington will not be able to solely rely on their defense in order to win in the playoffs. Expect coach Ron Rivera to have the offense ready to play and create some trickery to put points on the board.

Washington will also need to create offense early, as they rank third to last in first half points. Tampa Bay will end the game by the end of the first half if the WFT cannot manage to score in the first thirty minutes.

What the Football Team needs to do to give themselves a chance to win Super Bowl LV

Washington will need to find a way to score at least 30 points per game on the road to the Super Bowl, and trust that their defense can hold each opponent under that mark. The defense allows 20.6 points per game, so the Football Team should be able to hold opposing teams below thirty points.

Making smart decisions on the offensive side, limiting the number of turnovers Washington gives up. The Football Team cannot afford to make any mistakes against teams with as much talent as Tampa Bay does.

#5 Tampa Bay Buccaneers (First Round vs #4 Washington)

Led by 43-year-old Tom Brady, the Buccaneers finished second in their division, landing them the top wild card spot and the opportunity to play the NFC East Champion. The offense is loaded with stars for Brady to throw to including Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, Antonio Brown and Rob Gronkowski. Tampa Bay finished #2 in passing yards, #3 in points scored, and in the top ten for total yards.

The Buccaneers' defense finished the season allowing the least amount of rushing yards in the league, and finished in the top eight for points allowed and total yards allowed. The team also finished with the sixth best turnover differential in the NFL at +8.

What the Buccaneers need to correct

The Tampa Bay defense finished 21st in pass yards allowed, which may not play a huge factor in their first round game against Washington, but it is something that will need to be fixed if they are able to win this weekend and play the Green Bay Packers.

The Buccaneers offense finished 28th in rushing yards, really putting the weight on Tom Brady. Tampa Bay needs to formulate a rushing attack headed by Ronald Jones in order to become a more proficient team.

What the Buccaneers need to do to give themselves a chance to win Super Bowl LV

Tampa Bay has an overwhelming amount of talent on offense, putting them in a fantastic position to win a high-scoring shootout. However, if the Buccaneers can find a way to defend the pass, they may never have to play a shootout. The only team with more talent in the NFL is the Kansas City Chiefs, and it's close. Do not be surprised at all to see this Tampa Bay team playing in the Super Bowl in their home stadium.

#6 Los Angeles Rams (First Round vs #3 Seattle)

The Rams could be without QB Jared Goff this weekend, but backup John Wolford defeated the Arizona Cardinals last weekend in an impressive performance. This team has been able to get to 10-6 on the back of their defense, finishing first in points, total yards and passing yards allowed, while finishing third in rushing yards allowed. DL Aaron Donald and CB Jalen Ramsey are the captains on defense, both making multiple Pro Bowl appearances. The Rams have a talented WR trio in Robert Woods, Cooper Kupp and Josh Reynolds. If LA can get these athletes out in space, expect big plays to happen.

What the Rams need to correct

The Rams have a negative turnover differential at -3, turning the ball over 25 times, the second most out of the playoff teams. Whether it is Goff or Wolford at QB for Los Angeles, they will have to make sure the Rams do not beat themselves this weekend against an improving Seattle defense.

The Rams finished in the bottom third of the league when it comes to fourth quarter scoring, losing four games by one possession, including the first win for the New York Jets. The Rams need to have a better handle on winning close games, especially in the postseason.

What the Rams need to do to give themselves a chance to win Super Bowl LV

The offense has to do just enough in order to make sure the defense can win the game for them. If the offense can score 28 points, this Rams defense should be able to hold teams under that number.

If The Rams can establish a reliable ground game between their trio of running backs, that should take some weight off of the passing game, giving the team a much better shot at success.

#7 Chicago Bears (First Round vs #2 New Orleans)

The Chicago Bears have made the NFC Playoffs thanks to the LA Rams beating the Arizona Cardinals last weekend. Their gift? Playing the New Orleans Saints in the Superdome.

The Bears fit the definition of a mediocre football team. On the defensive side, they rank between 10th and 16th in yards and points allowed, while ranking in the bottom half of the league in all major offensive categories. Sitting at 8-8, this team could not be more average. Starting off at 5-0, closing the season 3-8, the Bears have stumbled into the playoffs.

What the Bears need to correct

On the offensive side of the ball, the Bears need to focus on running the football through star RB David Montgomery. Montgomery has been one of the best running backs in the league since the midway point of the season. If the Bears want to make it anywhere in these playoffs, it'll have to be through him.

The Bears have also thrown the fourth most interceptions in the league, giving them a second reason to run the football.

On the defensive side, the Bears need to find a way to crack down on the run and force opposing QBs to beat them in the air. This gives the opportunity for LB Khalil Mack to get pressure and force a game-changing play.

What the Bears need to do to give themselves a chance to win Super Bowl LV

Realistically, the Bears chances to make the Super Bowl are the lowest of any team, and that includes Washington.

However, the Bears are going to have to win like they used to back in the day, with defense. The Bears will need to hold teams 17 or less points in order to have an opportunity to win games. Congratulations on making the playoffs Bears fans, it will probably be short lived.

All statistics were taken from ESPN, NFL, and TeamRankings