Never Take Your Pets For Granted

Never Take Your Pets For Granted

Thoughts after losing a pet

573
Never Take Your Pets For Granted
Picture of my dog, Foofy

My dog died a few days ago. I didn’t even have an opportunity to say goodbye. Out of nowhere, I lost my best friend. I’ll never get to see her so excited to see me after being away for months at college. I won’t be able to see the anticipation in her eyes as I get her a treat. I’ll never be able to scratch her back or rub her belly ever again. As I petted her before leaving for William and Mary after Thanksgiving break, I had no idea that would be my last experience with her. Now she’s gone, just like that.

I was looking forward to being able to take care of her on my own once I graduated. I planned on taking her to the vet more often, taking her to parks, and maybe even getting her a companion. I was just as excited to do all of this as I was to actually begin my career post-graduation. I should have known that she was getting old, and that these plans were impractical.

I’m basically holding back tears as I write this. I’ve never lost a pet before. Every day it pains me to know that I could have been a better owner. I could have made frequent visits to a veterinarian. I could have played with her more, rather than ignoring her as I so often did. There’s nothing I can do about the past; I understand that. But my best friend has disappeared from my life. Gone. Forever.

I’m really glad that I have so many people who are helping me through this rough time. So I’d like to thank my family, my friends, and the fencing team. You gave me the support I needed, and continue to do so every day. I don’t know what I’d do without you guys.

To any and all pet owners reading this -- please, never take your pets for granted. Play with them, give them treats, and make every effort you can to ensure that they live as good a life as possible. Cherish every day you have with them; make every moment count because one day, they may no longer be in your life.

Rest in peace, Foofy. I’ll miss you, friend.