High School Students Demand Action From Congress With National Walkout Day

We should be supporting these students for taking a stand, not tearing them down.

321
Twitter

It’s been about a month since the tragic shooting in Parkland, Florida. An entire month seems like a long time but when it comes to events like this, it takes a lot longer to heal and a month seems like it was just yesterday.

Amidst all of the arguing about gun laws, the students at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School refused to let their voices fall on deaf ears, and rightfully so.

On March 14th, they marched out of school at 10 a.m. and protested for 17 minutes, one minute for each of the lives lost in the shooting.

They were joined by thousands of students from different schools around the nation, all marching out at 10 a.m. in their respective time zones.

Students organized these protests as a way to peacefully show our government officials that we need change and that they’re not going to stop until we get it.

Many people praised the students for having the courage to take a stand for what they believe in.

A handful celebrities took to Twitter to let the world know that they supported the students as they participated in National Walkout Day.

While it seemed like the majority of the responses were positive, there were quite a few negative ones as well.

Some parents were not fond of the idea and refused to let their children take part in the protests.

Singer and songwriter, Chrissy Costanza, responded to one of the negative comments with what might honestly be the clap back of the year so far.

Most of the negative comments from parents express their disapproval of their children being “forced” to participate. Except the gag is… nobody… was being… forced… to do… anything…

National Walkout Day was not a requirement of any sort, but rather a peaceful way to protest. Notice the keyword “peaceful” here.

These high school students didn’t want to cause anyone harm. They simply wanted to make a statement.

It’s funny how these 14 to 18-year-olds know how to address matters in ways that are far more mature than most grown adults in our current society.

Even more gun threats have been made at schools across the nation since the Parkland shooting. The reality of gun violence has become so prevalent in our lives that two sixth graders from Alabama wrote their own wills after their school received a threat.

Let that sink in for a second.

Two 12-year-old boys have been scarred by gun violence in our country so much to the point that they felt compelled to write a will and testament just in case they get shot and killed at school.

Imagine being a mother and finding a note like that in your child’s room.

It is unbelievably heartbreaking to think that children in today’s world are worrying about dying at school instead of what cartoon they’ll get to watch when they get home.

If that doesn’t make you realize we have a gun problem then I don’t know what will.

To the administrators and teachers who threatened to punish their students for participating in National Walkout Day… you are unacceptable.

How can you promote kindness, growth and leadership in your classrooms when you are the very people who are tearing them down? Start practicing what you preach.

And to all of the students who participated… you are incredible. If you wanted to participate but couldn’t because of your parents… you are incredible too. Don’t let the negative words of a few cloud your judgement.

We love you, we’re proud of you and we’re rooting for you.