I Was Naive In 2016, But Not Any More

I Was Naive In 2016, But Not Any More

I had no idea how naïve I was to think this reality TV personality was not going to affect me or anyone else in my circle of family and friends.

43
I Was Naive In 2016, But Not Any More

Almost four years ago, the day after the presidential election, I posted this on my Facebook page. I had no idea how naïve I was, to think this reality TV personality was not going to affect me or anyone else in my circle of family and friends.

November 9, 2016:

I just heard an angry republican brag about the new president with the intent to harm the so-called "lefties" that ruined our country in the last eight years. It was as to be expected, for the most part, there are always more bad winners than gracious ones because I went to bed last night hoping for a different outcome. I told the "ass-hat" that sticker shock is going to hurt a lot more than he will understand. Of course, he went on to tell me that raising taxes on the top 1% is not the way to save the country. As if this hotel-clerk is in the top 1% and believes that no tax increase is ever going to happen.

I personally feel sorry for this country, we are divided and will stay divided for probably the rest of my life. I want my grandchildren to know I believed in the people, I trusted them. I hoped that the older voters who decided that this election would be their first would make it their responsibility to read and understand the democratic system. It isn't a reality TV show. Bills and laws are not created during commercial breaks.

I told my daughter this morning that it is only four years and to be honest, I have had worse happen in my life and the last four years that were harder, but I survived. Will Trump affect me during his presidency? Not directly, but let's see, he can't take away the fact that I am a woman, a Democrat, a veteran, and I love my country and the people who fight to preserve the democracy our military defends. However, every time he insults, bullies, and objectifies someone he takes away a piece of my democracy; and no matter what others might think or feel, he does not have the right to do it.

It is now July 27, 2020;

And the bully has intimidated the republican party to the point that there is probably going to be a new party that emerges from it. The Lincoln Project is taking Mr. Trump's queue and is fighting back with the same insults and bully tactics. Their acknowledgment that they are experiencing the "sticker shock" I explained to the angry republican four years ago is refreshing. These are intelligent people that know a con man when they see one. However, it is the rest of his base that feel he is their savior from the evils of democracy.

Meanwhile, this country is in turmoil never conceived by me or any average citizen in the United States. We have civil unrest in our major cities and the president, calling himself the "Law and Order President," has sent his militia to capture and teargas the demonstrators. Many are mothers of demonstrators, veterans, civil rights activists, as well as local politicians that are standing up against a president that calls them thugs, and anti-American. However, there is a change coming like the 1960s and 1970s the people of this country are tired of the political evils that demonize our multiracial society.

The most glaring issue we are all facing is the pandemic that our president wanted to pretend did not exist in his world. He didn't play the optimist that could see the other side of this and promised he would keep all Americans safe and healthy. Instead, he criticized China first and then went after the medical specialists on his handpicked task force. He aligned with science deniers and refused the simple task of wearing a mask in public to encourage all American's to social distance and stay healthy.

Even though he is getting tested regularly, that is not the case for the average Joe who has symptoms and waits days in line for a swab and then over a week for the results. Our country is in a depression and our Commander in Chief is playing politics with people's lives by insisting that schools reopen so parents can get back to work. Yet, the problem is many of these companies are not ready to bring their employees back in full swing. In Florida, the positive cases are still rising and because the republican governor aligned with the needs of the president, he has put the state in a downward spiral that can only change if they follow the path New York did and lock it down.

So, the question is, has this presidency affected me? Yes, it has. I work from home and at one point was injured due to the closing of the gym that I would normally use. I spent time in the hospital and am still recuperating from the injuries. I don't get to see my family and friends as I want. Zoom, Facebook Messenger, and text messages are my world now. I know this won't last forever, like the pandemic of 1918, there will be an ending.

I understand my life has changed and my new normal will be a little more antiseptic and above all, I will work harder this election period to help as many people as I can understand their responsibility to casting their vote in November.