2016 Election Survival Guide

2016 Election Survival Guide

Politics...politics everywhere.

12
2016 Election Survival Guide

Do you want to overcomb America's problems by voting for Donald Trump? Maybe you're ready to Netflix and Hill with Hillary Clinton. You could also be feelin' the Bern from Bernie Sanders, or maybe you don't favor any of the three most popular 2016 presidential candidates. If you're seeking to become more informed about the current state of the upcoming election by finding out more facts about the main candidates or seek out some alternative candidates, look no further.

Republicans:

Donald Trump

If you haven't heard of him by now, this New York real estate tycoon and reality television star announced his candidacy on June 16, 2015. During the fifth GOP primary debate, Trump discussed his thoughts on immigration. “Our country is out of control. People are pouring across the southern border. I will build a wall. It will be a great wall. People will not come in unless they come in legally," Trump said. Find more information on Donald Trump and his 2016 presidential campaign here.

Democrats:

Hillary Clinton

This former first-lady used to be a New York senator and secretary of state. Clinton is also a licensed attorney. She announced her candidacy on April 12, 2015. At the ninth democratic debate, Clinton spoke about raising minimum wage. "I have said from the very beginning that I supported the fight for $15," said Clinton. "The minimum wage at the national level right now is $7.25, right? We want to raise it higher than it ever has been, but we also have to recognize some states and some cities will go higher, and I support that." Click here to read more about Hillary Clinton's campaign.

Bernie Sanders

Sanders is democratic senator from Vermont who refers to himself as a "democratic socialist". He announced his candidacy for the 2016 presidential election on April 30, 2015. Sanders wishes to make college education free. In a speech after winning the New Hampshire primary election, Sanders said, "When we need the best-educated workforce in the world, yes, we are going to make public colleges and universities tuition-free." Find out more about the 2016 presidential campaign of Bernie Sanders here.

Third Party/ Independent:

Jill Stein

This Green Party candidate is a physician and environmental awareness activist from Massachusetts. She announced the she would be a candidate in the 2016 election on June 22, 2015. In February 2016, Stein discussed national security policies in an interview with Political People Blog."It's very hard for people to listen to a proposal or a plan for reducing the military budget while they feel like their lives are at risk. And currently American fears are being so whipped up into a frenzy by this endless stream of propaganda," said Stein. View Jill Stein's campaign information here.

Gary Johnson

Gary Johnson is a libertarian candidate who was the governor of the state of New Mexico from 1995 to 2003. He was the Libertarian Party nominee in 2012 and took nearly 1 percent of the popular vote, amounting to 1,275,971 total votes. Johnson announced his candidacy on Jan. 6, 2016. In an April 2016 interview with The Texas Tribune, Johnson said that border security can be improved upon with the legalization of marijuana. "I think California is going to vote to legalize marijuana in November, and then 20 state legislatures will legalize it virtually overnight. This is going to lead to the end of prohibition. This is going to lead to a tremendous reduction in border violence," said Johnson. Find more more information about Gary Johnson's 2016 presidential campaign here.

Writing in a candidate is also an option, meaning that an individual not listed on the ballot can be written in as your choice for the next U.S. president.

For further assistance finding the 2016 presidential candidate that best matches you, I Side With is an effective resource. ISideWith.com is a website that allows visitors to take a quiz about political beliefs that then matches them with the candidate that best aligns with their views.

Visit the Ballotpedia website for a full list of all 2016 presidential candidates. Don't forget to vote in Election 2016 on Nov. 8!