My Way-Too-Early 2017 NFL Draft Predictions: Top 10

How I see the first ten picks of the 2017 NFL Draft shaping up as of the middle of January.

7

It's still very early, but with college football season and the NFL regular season now both in the books, it's about time to start thinking about the upcoming NFL draft as college players declare their intentions to enter the draft or stay in school.

These predictions come in the absence of NFL Combine and Senior Bowl results, so projections are certainly going to change in the coming months as anything can happen to alter a prospect's draft stock from now until the draft. Heck, just ask Laremy Tunsil, who, after being considered the #1 overall pick at one point, lasted until the early middle of the first round after a video of him smoking out of a bong while wearing a gas mask surfaced just minutes before the draft was scheduled to begin.

Of course, there hasn't been any free agency period yet, which certainly impacts the needs of each team as well.

There's also plenty of time for some pick shuffling through trades, as we saw last year, and that certainly has an impact on who gets selected where as well, but I'm assuming nothing changes and made my first set of predictions based on the current order.

1. Cleveland Browns: Myles Garrett, DE, Texas A&M

Rough year for them, and it starts with the fact that they could not keep a quarterback healthy for more than a week at a time. But there simply isn't an offensive lineman in this draft worthy of this pick. Speaking of quarterbacks, I don't think the Browns are ready to pull the plug on RG3 yet, and there's no can't-miss QB in this draft anyways. Browns go ahead and get the best player in this entire draft.

2. San Francisco 49ers: Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson

Remember how I said there was no can't-miss quarterback in this draft? Well, it's hard to imagine San Francisco going anywhere else but quarterback with this pick, and if you ask me about the signal callers in this draft, it's Watson and then everyone else, and by a wide margin. Watson doesn't come without questions, though, but if you watch his tape from Clemson's National Championship victory over Alabama this year, there isn't much you can say to dispute him coming off the board here to a team that desperately needs a quarterback.

3. Chicago Bears: Jonathan Allen, DE, Alabama

Again, they could really use a quarterback here as I'm wondering if Jay Cutler's time in Chicago is coming to an end. But with Watson gone, it's not worth the pick here, especially when there's a defensive wrecking machine on the board waiting to be picked. Bears go best player available and they get a good one here.

4. Jacksonville Jaguars: Dalvin Cook, RB, Florida State

Too early for a running back? I think not, as that trend was bucked last year with Ezekiel Elliot, and I'd say that turned out well. Cook's Orange Bowl performance coupled with the fact that TJ Yeldon and Chris Ivory can't hold onto the football and combined for 8 touchdowns this year tells you all you need to know.

5. Tennessee Titans (from Los Angeles Rams): Mike Williams, WR, Clemson

The Titans showed a lot of improvement this year and at one point looked as though they could make the playoffs, but the lack of a true go-to, WR1 is limiting this offense's ceiling. Mariota gets a new toy to work with as Williams' performance in the National Championship solidifies him as the best wideout in the draft.

6. New York Jets: Tim Williams, OLB, Alabama

The Jets have one of the better defensive lines in the NFL, but they could really use some pass rush help from their outside linebackers. There are concerns about Williams' ability to be an every-down linebacker in the NFL as he has a reputation of being a bit of a one-trick pony, but I'm super high on him. And if the pony does its trick really, really, really well, then what's the issue? With some NFL coaching, Williams should be able to round out his game and I think he is being very undervalued in this draft, so I have him a lot higher than many others do.

7. Los Angeles Chargers: Jamal Adams, S, LSU

The Chargers missed Eric Weddle like crazy this year, but here they have a great opportunity to fill that void with an elite athlete and playmaker at the safety position since the best wide receiver is already off the board.

8. Carolina Panthers: Cam Robinson, OT, Alabama

The Panthers have got to be disappointed with this season after they nearly won the Super Bowl last year. This team has a serious need for an offensive tackle and it is only the first step in getting their offense back on track.

9. Cincinnati Bengals: Derek Barnett, DE, Tennessee

Marvin Lewis may be coaching for his job in 2017 and will be looking for immediate impact players on defense as a result, especially along the edges.

10. Buffalo Bills: Malik Hooker, S, Ohio State

No point in taking a wide receiver or offensive lineman here as they can get a much better player. Hooker is a rangy safety with elite ball skills, and he would be a welcome upgrade to the Bills' back end.