My #USWNT Experience

My #USWNT Experience

Different dynamics, same unity

12
My #USWNT Experience
AO MSP

This past Sunday, October 23, I had the opportunity to experience my first U.S. Women’s National Team friendly versus Switzerland in Minneapolis, MN. This was my second time going to a national game, but not for the women’s team. I had just as much fun as the past match, but it’s hard to compare because it was so different.

One difference compared to the game I went to in Columbus was that I was in a stadium not originally intending for this kind of football. I was sitting in the supporter section again with the American Outlaws, but it was smaller than the other game I was at. At times I thought we were so quiet, but apparently we chanting extremely loud! Another difference for this match was I got to help hold up the tifo, which was exciting. It was also different to me because some of the chants were different than the ones I did in Columbus, so it was a learning experience.

Since this match was a friendly and not world cup qualifying, I didn’t feel the intensity as much as the other match. However, the goals were spectacular and amazing to watch. I’m always in awe at the athletic ability of the players. It was great to see the amount of support we could give to them (even though I was starting to lose my voice). I didn’t want it to end.

This match reaffirmed my career goals of wanting to work with sports communication with a team, specifically soccer. Thank you American Outlaws Minneapolis-St. Paul for being great hosts. I’m also thankful this match was close to my home, so I could experience it. I still believe this sport can change lives and allow for reflection on your life. As I stated in an earlier Odyssey article this year, “no matter your background, race, income, etc., the beautiful game is always the same,”.