My Life Working At A Horse Barn

My Life Working At A Horse Barn

Crazy Things That Seem Totally Normal

198
My Life Working At A Horse Barn

Working at a horse barn is the most rewarding job in the world, but it doesn’t come without some long hours, annoying clients, and crazy horses. I never come home from work and say, “Well I didn’t have any problems today.” My mom claims I should write a book on all the crazy stories I’ve told her about my job.

1. Inevitably some client will show up either 2 hours early for their scheduled lesson or 2 hours late.

And somehow this will be your fault.

[rebelmouse-proxy-image https://media.rbl.ms/image?u=%2Ffiles%2F2016%2F07%2F19%2F636044952750037036-2113870383_ben.gif&ho=https%3A%2F%2Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net&s=784&h=3e77918a572df8435b734cdb43f0aec17cad28aec645630aa412114c7bf9c0e6&size=980x&c=1421583232 crop_info="%7B%22image%22%3A%20%22https%3A//media.rbl.ms/image%3Fu%3D%252Ffiles%252F2016%252F07%252F19%252F636044952750037036-2113870383_ben.gif%26ho%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net%26s%3D784%26h%3D3e77918a572df8435b734cdb43f0aec17cad28aec645630aa412114c7bf9c0e6%26size%3D980x%26c%3D1421583232%22%7D" expand=1]

2. The old-trusty horse that anyone can ride will be hurt.

You have 5 beginners; one of your beginner horses will be affected by the heat and the other one will have cut her leg on the fence. And now you have 5 people and 0 horses... Maybe they can ride the dog?

3. Something chaotic will happen.

For example, while at work the other day I had to attempt to capture a loose cow. Calf wrestling was not in the job description.

4. There will be someone who thinks they know everything about horses.

They do not. Bob who showed up in shorts and moccasins will claim he always rides like this, but then 15 minutes into the ride will complain about the saddle pinching his legs. And you will have to physically restrain yourself from saying, "I told you so, Bob."

5. You will always end up working at least one more hour than intended.

"Yes mom, I'll be home for dinner at 6." And then you don't leave the barn until 7:30. Time seems to go slowly but then all of the sudden it's dark outside and you realize you're the last one at the barn. Again.

This job is hard and it's taxing and you will cry at least once a week. But it's also the most rewarding job in the world because you get to see little kids go from riding those beginner horses to being competent riders who make you proud. I wouldn't work in any other industry.