My 10 Favorite Peyton Manning Moments

My 10 Favorite Peyton Manning Moments

In honor of his number being retired.

79
My 10 Favorite Peyton Manning Moments

Growing up in a family devoted to the Indianapolis Colts has been both a blessing and a curse. For every amazing moment we've shared as fans there's one equally as heartbreaking. With that being said, from 1998-2010 I was blessed with having Peyton Manning as my team's quarterback. In 2011, he, unfortunately, got seriously injured and the Colts decided to cut him and look to the future with all-star quarterback Andrew Luck. Peyton's career did not end, as he went on to play four more years with the Denver Broncos. My family and I stayed devoted to Peyton and rooted hardcore for the Broncos, a cardinal sin in the life of a sports fan. I, very controversially always rooted against the Broncos when they played the Colts, much to the dismay of my family, but almost all of the time my heart stuck with Peyton as his career came to a close. In honor of the Indianapolis Colts erecting a statue and retiring his iconic number 18 this weekend, here are my personal favorite ten moments of Peyton Manning's historic career.

10. Every Manning Bowl, Ever

It's obviously not news to anyone that Peyton has a little brother named Eli, who happens to play for the New York Giants. The Manning's met on the field three times and each time Peyton and his teammates abused Eli and his. Peyton's teams outscored Eli's 105-58 and they won all three games.

9. November 25, 2004

On Thanksgiving Day on national television, Peyton assaulted the Detroit Lions defense by tossing six touchdowns in a 41-9 Colt victory.

8. October 1, 2006

Being a New Yorker that supports a team halfway across the country is pretty difficult. Most of the time, we only got to see our team play when they came here. Well in 2006 they came here, twice actually. First to beat Eli Manning and then to beat the New York Jets. This was the first professional football game I was ever at, and Peyton orchestrated a huge comeback as the Colts won 31-28.

7. September 5, 2013

The Denver Broncos opened their 2013 campaign against the defending Super Bowl Champions, the Baltimore Ravens. Peyton lit them up as he threw seven touchdowns, an NFL record. Peyton and his offense would go on to break numerous records in the 2013 season, including the record for records broken (imagine that!).

6. November 15, 2009

The undefeated Indianapolis Colts hosted their arch-rivals the New England Patriots, led by Tom Brady, in a huge game in the middle of the 2009 season. The game did not disappoint. As usual, the Patriots jumped out to a big lead but Peyton Manning led the Colts back. Bill Belichick, the Patriots head coach made a very controversial decision that allowed for the Colts to have the ball back and to win the game. The Colts won 35-34 on the last play of the game.

5. October 19, 2014

Peyton's historic career became even more historic when he broke the all-time passing touchdown record with a toss to Demaryius Thomas for his 509th touchdown. The Broncos went on to win 42-17 over the San Francisco 49ers.

4. January 24, 2016 (2015 AFC Championship Game)

In what came to be Peyton's second-to-last game as a football player, he had to beat Tom Brady yet again to make it to Super Bowl 50. He did, in a thrilling and nail-biting 20-18 victory in Denver. I was fortunate enough to be there and it was quite an experience!

3. February 4, 2007 (Super Bowl XLI)

After what was quite an experience in getting to the Super Bowl, for the first time in my ten year old life, I was witnessing my favorite team playing in America's biggest sporting event. The Colts won 29-17 over the Chicago Bears and Peyton captured his first Super Bowl.

2. January 21, 2007 (2006 AFC Championship Game)

For the first five years of my life as a football fan, I had witnessed, with my family, heart-breaking loss after heart-breaking loss, mainly to Tom Brady and the New England Patriots. In order for the Colts to play in Super Bowl XLI, they had to beat the Patriots. The game started off as they all did, with the Patriots blowing us away. It was 21-3. Peyton Manning orchestrated the greatest comeback in AFC Championship history and gave the Colts the 38-34 lead. Brady was coming down the field to win the game but he was intercepted by Colts defensive back Marlin Jackson. The Colts won the game and went on to win the Super Bowl two weeks later.

1. February 7, 2016 (Super Bowl 50)

In what wound up being Peyton Manning's last game, the Broncos faced the high-flying Carolina Panthers in Super Bowl 50. They were led by 2015 NFL Most Valuable Player, Cam Newton. Newton had made the dab famous throughout the course of the season. After sacking Newton and forcing a fumble that was recovered for a Denver touchdown, Von Miller dabbed in Cam's face.Peyton didn't play all that great, but it wound up not mattering. The Broncos won Super Bowl 50 24-10 and Manning rode off into the sunset with his second Super Bowl win. The utter happiness that my entire family and I felt is why this had to be number one, despite Peyton's performance in the game.

It was an honor and a privilege to watch number 18 play football. I often say that I was blessed as a child growing up with Derek Jeter and Peyton Manning. Congratulations to Peyton on having his number officially retired by the Indianapolis Colts!