What You Need When You Move In Together

The Ultimate Shopping List Of Stuff You Need When You Move In Together

Other than the obvious groceries, there's quite a few things you and your boo should get before moving in.

350
scontent-iad3-1.cdninstagram.com

You've finally hit that stage in the relationship where one of you moves in or get a place together! It's exciting, it's new but here's the stressful part...what do you bring?

When moving in it's crucial that you each go through your stuff to get rid of anything you don't need/want. But there's also things that need to be bought too. You might not realize it yet, but you do not want to move in together without having all the essentials ready to go. So here is the ultimate shopping list for when you and your significant other move in together!

1. Extension Cords

You don't want to be fighting over who gets the outlet by the bed and who has to put their phone on the other have of the room, get extension cords now so you don't have to worry about the hassle!

2. Extra Blankets

If your boyfriend/girlfriend is anything like mine, he is a HUGE blanket hog. Buy some extra blankets to keep under the bed so when they decide they need 95% of the blanket, you have back up.

3. Extra Towels

You never want to be the one stuck needing to shower without a clean towel at hand.

4. A Calendar

My boyfriend and I are constantly busy. Between both of us having two jobs (me having three plus school) it's hard sometimes to keep track of who's where at what time. A calendar will take away that stress!

5. A whiteboard for the fridge

It might sound silly but this is great! If you need milk but won't have time to pick it up, leave a message on the board for your boo! Or if you feel like leaving a note saying they need to pick their socks up from the living room floor...

6. More hangers

I personally prefer to hang my clothes up, it leaves less of a hassle trying to rummage through clothes to find something to wear. You're going to want more hangers when you're sharing a room with that special someone.

7. An extra key

Obviously you should both have keys to the house, but there is going to come a time where one of you gets locked out, and the other can't get to you for hours. Make that spare key and hide it in a good spot to save the hassle of trying to climb into your window without your neighbors calling the cops...

8. A key rack

This is so convenient. Keeping track of keys can be a struggle as is, let alone when you and your S.O. keys look the exact same. Buy a key rack to keep them in place.

9. A shower caddy

Buy one ASAP. Those shower ledges can hold your shampoo and conditioner but when you double it up, it's messy.

10. Door mat for shoes

Now that you live together, you're going to want to have a door mat (if you don't already) for you to leave your shoes when you walk into the house. Shoes that you tend to wear frequently can be left my the door and other shoes (heels and dress shoes) can be left in the closet!

11. A shoe rack for the closet

One person tends to own at least four pairs of shoes. (Well, my boyfriend owns like four pairs of just boots.) If you both have a lot of shoes and don't want to take up too much space, get a shoe rack for the closet! This keeps them organized and won't leave you tripping over any of them.

12. Candles/air fresheners 

This is crucial. You guys live together now and there's going to be times where you're "doing your business" and it leaves that smell behind. Make sure you have candles or air fresheners to mask away that dreadful stink.

13. More laundry baskets

You may not realize it now, but one or two laundry baskets isn't going to cut it. There is going to come a time where you won't have time to do laundry for either of you that week. One or two laundry baskets can fill up pretty quick with two people. Always be sure to have extras. Better to have more than not enough!

14. Spare bed sheets

This comes in so handy. You always want to be able to sleep in a clean bed, but sometimes it can take FOREVER to wash them! Get that extra bed set that, when it comes time to wash one, you always have a clean back up to not feel rushed!

15. All the cooking stuff

Seriously, whether you are getting a new place together or moving in with your S.O. you want to have ALL the essential cooking needs. Even the non-essential ones.

16. Plates and silverware

Self explanatory.

17. Area rug

These are just nice to have cause they really tie the room together!

18. Storage, storage, STORAGE

This is ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL. There's two of you know, you're going to want as much storage as humanly possible to fit all of your stuff together

19. A welcome mat

20. A blow out mattress

If you are anything like my boyfriend and I, we are constantly having friends over. You want to be completely prepared if friends need/want to spend the night!

21. LOTS of tissues, paper towel and toilet paper.

You can never have more than enough of this.

22. Batteries

It's never fun when the remote batteries die.

23. Extra light bulbs

24. Cleaning supplies

Broom, mop, vacuum, duster, pledge, ALL OF IT.

25. Decorations for the holidays

Because you NEED to be spirited. This is finally your time to decorate your home just how you like it.